PDA

View Full Version : Invasive Malignant Melanoma / Multi-crew restriction

foghorn
7th Jul 2003, 18:01
I have been diagnosed with Invasive Malignant Melanoma. It has been caught very early and removed, so the medical prognosis for me is actually rather good.

The problem is that I have had my class one medical suspended (JAA/UK CAA) and have been warned by the CAA Aeromedical people that it is likely to come back with a multi-crew restriction applied.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

As I am a low hours wannabe I fear that the multi-crew restriction is going to make life difficult for me getting an airline job (makes hour building difficult) or even kill my chances of getting a job completely.

Any thoughts?

cheers!
foggy.

SU27
9th Jul 2003, 23:05
Fog horn

I have a multi crew restriction. This is fine if you already hold an ATPL as you will be back flying in no time. The problem is they will not issue a brand new ATPL to the holder of a restricted class one. The CAA at Gatwick were very helpful but unfortunately could not change the rules for a would be co-pilot such as myself, so I am just happy flying PPL at the mo waiting for the restriction to lift maybe next year. Only then will it be worth me looking into serious Professional training.

Probably not much help, but thought I would let you know you are not the only one.

SU27

foghorn
9th Jul 2003, 23:38
Thanks for that, SU27

I've been doing a little reading of the JARs, and despite being advised by the AMC help-line that I will most likely get a multi-crew limitation, the JARs say that once it is clear that the condition is not affecting me further I should get the medical back, and that the limitation merely 'might be appropriate'. So if they do insist on the limitation, I guess I'm going to have to get into an expensive bun-fight between my medics (who are very upbeat about my prognosis) and the AMC :(

Out of interest, what are the implications of a multi-crew limitation on single pilot ops? Does it basically mean that you need a safety pilot? Or are you denied single pilot ops completely?

I ask because the JARs are vague on this point - they just say that if you have a class one you get the multi-crew limitation; if you have a class two you get the safety pilot limitation. They don't seem to cover the scenario of a class one holder in single pilot ops.

Oh, and do you mean 'frozen ATPL' (ie. CPL/IR) or 'ATPL'? I hold a frozen ATPL which will at least let me fly as a co-pilot - although getting the full ATPL might be problematic without an unrestricted class one.

cheers!
foggy.

foghorn
25th Jul 2003, 19:30
Just to keep you updated of the outcome, this morning I had a letter from the CAA containing not one but two medical certificates.

My class one has an 'MML' limitation applied to it - can only fly multi-crew with an unrestricted crew member. This will be reviewed in one year's time.

The second is an unrestricted class two which will allow me to fly privately single crew as before.

So effectively, I am only barred from flying commercially in single pilot ops.

It could've been better, but it could've been a lot worse - for now I'm just glad that I can fly again!!!