PDA

View Full Version : notepad.exe gone missing

Golden Runways
7th Jul 2003, 09:43
it vanished. wordpad still there. regedit gone too. researching the qaz trojan via kaspersky Av, but no sign of any virus. online scan done too. i use notepad as my main html editor so i need back.

how do i extract from the windows ME cd? me thinks i need to DOS prompt? f:\win9x\extract f:\win9x\win9x_46.cab notepad.exe, or something similar? How do I open up to do the DOS prompt tho, and is that the right cab file?

if I get a copy of notepad.exe from a win9x system can i drop it straight into c:\windows\?

like it says on the tin, it's all terribly complicated.

have checked add/remove, windows set up, accessories and it's not available there either.

win ME, amd 2400xp, 512 ddr. thx!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jul 2003, 15:26
Golden Runways,

If your system is having this many problems, it sounds like now is the time to do a clean install. I know you do not want to hear that, but what will fail next?

Take Care,

Richard

Timothy
7th Jul 2003, 15:26
GR

1) I imagine that you could find both Notepad.exe and Regedit.exe for download on the Internet somewhere. Make sure you get the ME one.

2) You could get some friendly person with WME to eMail them to you (I would offer but I wouldn't touch ME with my next door neighbour's bargepole)

3) (and you should do this anyway) you should get a better text editor than Notepad. I use TextPad, which is very good, but there are many others. You can use Word as a txt editor as well. This is particularly useful if you write HTML, as you can format in Word and then the HTML handles itself. Another alternative is to use the Outlook Express editor, where you can flip between source and output by swapping tabs (Format, HTML, then View, Edit Source.)

W

fobotcso
7th Jul 2003, 18:14
Before taking a sledgehammer to it I suggest you use Windows Explorer Search function to see it they really have gone. Then I'd suggest a go at the "Restore" function.

Then, if no luck, I'll e-mail them to you if you wish. They're only small files (52KB and 124B respectively).

But, as Richard says, what's next? I'm with Mr C; I binned WinME some time ago but still have the partition cloned for occasions such as this.

Golden Runways
7th Jul 2003, 20:14
I can see the need for a clean install. I am going to get a new hard drive shortly, as this one is only 20gig. so my logic is to wait until that goes in before a clean install. (plus richard, the fact that i'm not keen on doing it either! also this logic will let me procrastinate a while longer)

I can see you all really like win ME then! I got the bios flashed (thanks martin and sasha!) and a new xp2400 in. so it's all getting there, just very slowly.

I installed reg cleaner from JV16, so it's possible that has something to do with the reg edit bit. I only made a few cautious edits in there though, still learning. registry backed up.

I am reading through a few sites
answers that work (http://www.answersthatwork.com) and winguides (http://www.winguides.com/software/) that have alternatives to notepad.

I have tried search, and all that is left are the notepad helpfiles in c:\windows\help. I have tried all the available system restores and it's not back in any, even though I know it was working under one of them.

mr fobotcso sir! despite my earlier cheekiness to yourself, you demonstrate your character! I would be humbly grateful to receive the files. i have PM'd you my email.

when i install the new drive, can i keep the old one in as slave without taking off the OS etc? out of interest which OS do you all use?

thanks to you all, on my assisted learning curve.

fobotcso
8th Jul 2003, 00:03
GR, glad you got the files OK.

Windows ME was the last of the "entertainment" OSs.

Windows 2K was the last of the "business" OSs.

Of course, either would do a lot of the other's job equally well.

But now Win XP (Pro for me) combines the best of the two strains and would always be my choice for a future OS.

Having said that, Win 2K is what I have (licensed) on most of my PCs and I can handle almost anything it can throw at me. So I'm perfectly happy with it and will stay with it for as long as I can. I keep it running light and at the first sign of danger I undo the last thing that I did. (Hardware/Software addition). It has no Restore function as found in ME and XP. But a clean re-install over a damaged copy is possible without destroying Program contents or preferences.

But then I don't play games or "do" Flight Simulators.

Yes, you can keep a drive exactly "as is" as long as you have put the jumper in "slave" and the other drive has it as "master with slave present". "Cable Select" is an option I've never had a lot of time for and I avoid it if I can. Old habits of wanting to be in charge, you know.

Golden Runways
15th Jul 2003, 05:21
thanks again fobotcso!

well, notepad and reg edit well and truly back.

i have installed jv16 powertools (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml) and after reading answersthatwork (http://www.answersthatwork.com) and pacs portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/) i removed real one player. never used it that much anyway. wow, how a whole load of problems have disappeared. i think notepad/regedit went during some system restores done to try and avoid some of these problems.

removed all traces of real one with powertools, and my system stability is better. just when i thought i had got away from it all i popped in my newly accquired Fun Lovin' Criminals 'scooby snacks, the collection' cd, and it's one of them f***** copy protected efforts, installs realplayer back in. doesn't tell you, just says files need updating. anyway it was realplayer 8, which doesn't have all the crapness of the newer version. I will delete it anyway though!

still, a new hard disk, and clean re-install are, i know, soon to come.......

Timothy
16th Jul 2003, 03:53
I would agree with fobotcso re OSs.

I use W2K and am perfectly happy with it (huge improvement on both NT and 98), but would definitely install XP if, God forbid, I had to reformat.

W