PDA

View Full Version : Appendicectomy

Kolibear
7th Jul 2003, 04:37
I had my appendix removed last Thursday, 3rd July and I'm wondering how long it will be before I can go flying again. The hospital advised a minimum of a week before driving. I'm a PPL and fly an simple SEP, the only physical part is pulling and pushing the aircraft back into its parking slot, for which I would seek assistance.

Do I have to get an AME to sign me off before flying again? Is my medical license currently suspended? Can I fly P2 in the right hand seat?

redsnail
7th Jul 2003, 06:48
Probably. If you have a condition that "grounds" you for 7 continuous days then your medical is considered suspended. It's no biggy, I think you are supposed to report it (if working). Get a clearing medical from your aviation Dr.
This is the case in oz, JAR may well be different.

Circuit Basher
7th Jul 2003, 15:53
When I had a hernia repair done 3 yrs ago, I rang my AME, explained the situation, and he asked a few questions relating to the progress of my recovery. He then said that once I'd had the stitches removed, I should leave around a week before flying again and only needed to contact him again if there were any abnormalities during the recovery phase.

cortilla
8th Jul 2003, 20:26
On a similar vein. I've heard of people getting voluntary appendectomys before to avoid any problems whilst on flights. is it still done and is it advaisable?? Hope you get back in the air soon

foghorn
8th Jul 2003, 20:42
Kolibear,

You mustn't fly in the meantime and you must must call your AME, or better still the AMC at Gatwick and inform them. According to the JARs you must tell them as soon as is practical about any invasive surgical procedure; Appendictomy certainly counts as one of these (JAR-FCL 3.040 refers).

They will then suspend your medical until such time that you are pain free after the operation. They will possibly require a report from the surgeon who carried out the operation as to the prognosis.

I went through roughly similar surgery last year, my medical was suspended for about five weeks, and they needed a short letter from the surgeon.

(Circuit basher's experience sounds unusual - maybe that was how things were done under the UK regs - or maybe this AME was less strict than the AMC would be so it's worth contacting your AME first?)

Get well soon!
foggy.

Kolibear
8th Jul 2003, 20:52
Thanks for all your good wishes, the dressing is off and the stitches are dissolving.

I rang my AME yesterday and he said basically what Foggy said - call the CAA and report it, they will send me a letter temporarily suspending my PPL, they also need a letter from my surgeon or GP discribing what happened to me. My AME wants to examine me in a month and at that time if things are OK, he'll sign me off as fit.

I'm not allowed to fly at all during that 4 weeks, its because any air introduced into my abdomen needs time to disperse and any altitude could cause me to f4rt through my wound! Also I might inadvetently pull some G, which could strain the wound too.

Anthony Carn
8th Jul 2003, 20:58
Can only speak from Class 1 (ATPL) medical point of view, but ANY stay in hospital requires contacting the CAA.

Common sense (with respect) really suggests you contact your AME before flying again. I've had occasions when a "regular" doc (GP) gave some clearly wrong advice (eg flying with blocked eustacian tube for one), so don't rely on them, I suggest. Consequences of post appendectotototottomy going "twang" whilst airbourne could be serious ?

IMHO.

Waddya mean, I spelt something wrong ? ;)

EDIT - Sorry, Kolibear, ya nipped in whilst I was perfecting my literary masterpiece ! I'm not binning it now, after all the effort !

gingernut
8th Jul 2003, 21:17
Voluntary appendicectomy !! are you serious ?