PDA

View Full Version : Rossair King Air 200 Accident Afghanistan

anaconda
6th Jul 2003, 17:29
Any truth in the rumour that a ROSSAIR 200 crashed in Faizabad?
Anyone with more info please, would like to know.

Anonymous
6th Jul 2003, 19:47
Any truth in the rumour that a ROSSAIR 200 crashed in Faizabad?

Yes.

Anyone with more info please, would like to know.

Havn't heard much apart from no-one hurt and that the aeroplane doesn't look very pretty, it had a nose-gear collapse on landing according to spies in the area.

By coincidence Aviation Assistance had a 200 land at Kabul with the nose-gear partially retracted a few days before. They knew in advance that there was a problem & apparantly made a relatively gentle touch-down. I heard that the damage is limited.

Anon

anaconda
6th Jul 2003, 23:21
Thanks for the info, mates of mine flying there, just curious. Very happy nobody injured! Anybody have any info on possible weakness in nosegear area on said type?

Xtra
7th Jul 2003, 01:36
King Air 200 Nose gear.

King Air 200`s do not suffer from any weakness on the nose gear assembly and surrounding area.
If maintenance and routine inspections are carried out to nose landing gear; drag brace; surrounding structure and actuator assembly and all Service Bullitins complied with........you will not have a problem.

Xtra.

Cave Troll
7th Jul 2003, 06:17
Xtra

You said it."If maintenance and routine inspections are done........."

Of course I would never imply anything about anyone.

ct

anaconda
7th Jul 2003, 15:06
Thanks XTRA and CAVE TROLL that is what I thought, the bottom line being PROPER maintenance and INSPECTIONS!
The question is, was it done?

south coast
7th Jul 2003, 16:39
annaconda....

i have seen this name on one of the computers at dauh, so i think i know who you are....

hows it going where you are?

very hot here, 51c...

take it easy....

edgar

Balloothebear
7th Jul 2003, 16:42
My little cubs:-if it wasnt for the tenacity and resorcefulness of the Rossair engineers,the company would have closed its doors ages ago.............next time you point a finger at any engineer,it will be broken................wind your scrawny little unfeathered neck in:ouch:

Gunship
7th Jul 2003, 17:14
Right or wrong you put a smile on my face ..... :p

Balloothebear says :

My little cubs:-if it wasnt for the tenacity and resorcefulness of the Rossair engineers,the company would have closed its doors ages ago.............next time you point a finger at any engineer,it will be broken................wind your scrawny little unfeathered neck in

My little cubs ... :p :D :p

south coast
7th Jul 2003, 18:07
Please don't get so aggresive this early in the day. Firstly I have nothing against Rossair crew {and by crew I mean drivers and mechanics}. I have many friends working for the company at the moment and I don't doubt any of thier abilities in what they do. No one said there was slack maitenence. Even if there was the fault can usually be traced to bad management not bad workers. The fact is I have seen first hand inspections being done on the apron including putting the a/c on jacks in anything up to 10 knot winds. So getting all defencive just makes you look guilty.

Have a great day and keep smiling. This is not work it is a F:mad: ADVENTURE.:}

ct

maxrated
7th Jul 2003, 18:33
If there ever was an airstrip that would induce a nosewheel/undercarriage failure it would probably be Faizerbad, Afghanistan. The airfield was built by the Russians and is made up of those attached corrigated metal plates like in the world war 11 movies. The corrigations run at 90 degrees to the directional axis of the runway which induces alot of vibration on the airframe and would definatly exaccerbate any existing structural weakness or stress fracture on the undercarriage if it existed.

Secondly, the airfield lies at approx 8000 feet asl (?) in the middle of the Hindu Kush area. This means that TAS touchdown speeds are probably higher than normal especially in hot temperatures of an Asian summer. take into account the domino effect of a whole lot of these factors and there you go.

Rossair pilots have been skillfully operating into that airfield for years and have never had a problem before, I also strongly opbject the insinuations that dodgy maintenance was a factor, I have the utmost respect for Rossairs field engineers whome I have personally seen perform miracles on aircraft, given the trying circumstances that they work under on some of the contracts.

Releived that no one got hurt, Hamdulli Allah !

:ok:

anaconda
7th Jul 2003, 19:28
Yes SOUTHCOAST, you are right! Very enjoyable here, except lots of PTERRADACTYLEs to avoid! I agree, do not know why everybody get so aggressive about a plain question, unless it is a guilty conscience? Well mate, do not melt in the heat!

warloc67
7th Jul 2003, 19:44
This is now the third BE20 to suffer this type incident in the last 2 months. One collapsed at Grand Central (MXX?) about a month ago. In that case maintenance was excellent (Rich Private Owner) and the a/c was in mint condition.:confused:

anaconda
7th Jul 2003, 19:56
Yes SOUTHCOAST, you are right! Very enjoyable here, except lots of PTERRADACTYLEs to avoid! I agree, do not know why everybody get so aggressive about a plain question, unless it is a guilty conscience? Well mate, do not melt in the heat!

Cave Troll
7th Jul 2003, 23:55
Listen guys

You guys are acting like a bunch of kids. Really. You are loosing the plot here. Stop all this name calling and kiss and make up. The fact is there was an accident and fortunately there was no one hurt. To hell with the rest of it. So what if there was a problem with the maitenance or if there was a fault on the landing gear. The important thing is our comrades were not hurt or worse. So give each other your phone numbers and arrange a meeting then go on a date and whisper sweet nothings in each others ears. That should keep both of you busy so the rest of us can use this facility for what it is supposed to be used for ie slagging each other.........oh sorry I mean thaughtful intelligent conversation.

ps south coast - I know who you are and I know where you live!

ct

Balloothebear
8th Jul 2003, 05:11
Gunns...........always a pleasure to make a fellow aviator smile...............

Cardinal Puff.....the manyappa chasing "flying Eisbein" is,I believe, now keeping "Bruces(DHL) Beauties" in the air.....................nightfighter nugget(hehehehehehe)

South Coast and Annaconda..................guilty............sorry cubs,wont stoop till your level.SB and AD have nothing to do with management,if you know anything about aviation maintenance you will know that the manufacturer usually carries the cost of the nessesary action,where not,any company worth its salt will ensure the safety of its men and machines..............Rossair is one of those.Once you cubs get some fur on your little scrawny necks,say after a year or two of contract flying ,you will realise engineers are miracle workers,on and off,the airfield.................
No hard feelings cubs,next round at the pub is on you.............:ok:

Goffel
8th Jul 2003, 07:01
Are you sure it was'nt the hostie.
Just blame the co-jo.
**** they get paid enough.
Mind you when mine collapsed it was because the ants had eaten a tunnel accross the taxi way.(and that is gospel).

Hang it,we all like a good argument,but this one has no winners and lots of losers.

How much damage was done to the a/c and will it take long before it is in the air again.

Have a thought for the poor aeroplane.:E

AfgAirOps
8th Jul 2003, 13:08
If there ever was an airstrip that would induce a nosewheel/undercarriage failure it would probably be Faizerbad, Afghanistan.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/171515/FBD1.jpg

Secondly, the airfield lies at approx 8000 feet asl (?)

It's at 3,872'

So what if there was a problem with the maitenance or if there was a fault on the landing gear. The important thing is our comrades were not hurt or worse.

Well said.........

dr max
8th Jul 2003, 21:32
When the problem is discovered, please can it be posted? We often operate a B200 into some not-very-smooth strips and wouldn't like to be stuck on the ground in some places.

rags
9th Jul 2003, 23:11
A BE 200 nosegear will part company for one of 3 reason.

1) Bad driver, landing on the nose gear. In this case (as every one sujest) not applicable.

2) Bad maintenance. (Not applicable as everyone sujest)

3) Bad runway (Maybe. What are you doing there). With bad runways refer to 2 above.

Why did a east coast operator (operating a Rossair Aircraft) left Kabul.
:O :O :O :O

split bus
10th Jul 2003, 02:27
Hi Rags..... Have you flown contracts ?!? Obviously not. Rossair operates to fine standards, maintenance is good when they get spare parts, but to nose gears, what can you do ?
I have flown for them, never got a problem, and why do they fly there, well, like me, for the contract.....
I would like to see another company able to send engines, metal and all..... in such a short time to fix it. In the mean time, they are using another 200 to do the usual flights.

Beet this.........

Cave Troll
10th Jul 2003, 14:35
Oh Raggsie

Like Slit Bus said you obviously have no clue about contract flying. That much is quite obvious by your post. So, as far as I am concerned with regard to Rossair operations in afghanistan, it does not even warrent a reply.

However with regard to the "east coast operator" they lost the contract because some incompetent pen pusher did not bother to do his job correctly. Everyone who worked for this "east coast operator" will know who this "person" is.

ct

south coast
10th Jul 2003, 16:48
it would seem someone out there has written some replies under my name, perhaps i left myself logged in on someone'scomputer...so ignore any comments.

4granted
11th Jul 2003, 16:27
Hi South
I saw the signature of "ct" under your previous posting refering to the 10kt issue.
"ct" is also used by ...CAVE TROLL... check your six South.. and log off or change your password!!

Cave Troll...I hope it was an honest mistake.???

Otherwise South hope you are all well.
Regards to Monobrow and all
cheers
wfp4g
:) :yuk:

Cave Troll
12th Jul 2003, 22:20
Sorry about that South. I may not agree with everything you said but it was an honest mistake. Those silly puters there is the sahara just don't log off when they are supposed too and by the time I realised the mistake it was too late. Won't happen again.

ct