PDA

View Full Version : 12 Squadron Movie

Timelord
5th Jul 2003, 19:11
Can anyone help me find a copy of "The 12 Squadron movie". a short film made in the early 70s about 12 sqn Buccaneers. It was quite famous at the time, and noted for its Vangellis theme music

SirToppamHat
5th Jul 2003, 19:20
I believe it was a recruiting movie, so the CIOs might have some copies tucked away on video.

I believe the music was 'To the Unknown Man', by (as you correctly suggest) Vangelis.

Sorry I can't be more help. If you have broadband, I will happily send you the tune on MP3.

I remember being shown the video at CIO Manchester. Have to admit it was very moving - good luck!

Hueymeister
5th Jul 2003, 20:17
Bananas, Bananas..or something like that..saw it on a spotters tape in HMV some years ago..it was an RAF video, had the Nimrod and Herc also on it.

circle kay
6th Jul 2003, 02:25
If you go to the COI http://www.coi.gov.uk/homepage/
you are told to contact Film Images Ltd on 020 7383 2288 if you go to http://www.film-images.com/ you get the following info
Record 1 of 2
DATABASE : Crown Database
LANGUAGE : English / English
TITLE : Twelve Squadron
YEAR : 1979
DURATION : 33 Minutes
SPONSOR : Ministry of Defence
MASTER_STOR : FIL
DESCRIPTION : To fly a combat squadron and keep it in service require teamwork and close interdependence of ground and air staff. 12 Squadron are briefed at RAF Honington for their role in a NATO exercise Open Door'' and are deployed to Gibraltar. There is no commentary other than the dialogue of Squadron members as they fly their Buccaneer aircraft for an attack on a target at sea.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record 2 of 2
DATABASE : COI FOOTAGE FILE
LANGUAGE : ENGLISH / ENGLISH

TITLE : TWELVE SQUADRON BUCANNEERS
ENTRY_DATE = 2000/11/05
FILM_NUMBER : COI/20CH
MASTER : C/8/47 300000256
YEAR : 1979
SUBJECT : ARMED FORCES
FORMAT : BETA SP
DURATION : 00.32.00
COLOUR : COLOUR
AUDIO : SOUND
MASTER_STOR : DRUMM
DESCRIPTION : SYNOPSIS
let us all know how you get on if you give them a call on monday. Its the film that made my mind up that I wanted to join up.. so its got a lot to answer for!!:O

ZH875
6th Jul 2003, 02:50
As Ex 12 sqn, I can only say that having been force fed that film many times, the Vangelis tune just makes me think of having another beer.

Good Film,
Good Aircraft
Good Music

but the beer is still the best.

Bring Back The Bucc.

denachtenmai
6th Jul 2003, 21:21
Ahhh, 12 squadron, when a certain Kipper Fleet squadron was at Honington , Very early seventies,
we half inched their beautiful board wiv it's foxes 'ead emblem from in front of the hangar.
Next day very irate bods with service police in tow turned our dispersal, right next door to the bomb dump, upside down looking for it, they knew that we had it but couldn't find it.
I got posted shortly after and never found out what happened to it, anyone know?
P.S. I really enjoyed watching 12 and the OCU(238?) display the "Narner" a bit different to The Old Grey Lady!

regards Denachtenmai.

Max R8
6th Jul 2003, 22:40
Mmm! I don't suppose they still have a copy of "Dr FOD and the wayward body" A classic non-PC flight safety film. Also I wonder if the old Eddy Shoestring - F4 pilot (folding wings) movie is still in the cupboard.
I found a flim in a map store at Marham once that turned out to be a training flick for B-29 Washington air gunners. Don't know what happened to that one.

I've got a copy of the old 9 Sqn Tornado video of 1984 (ish) with Phil Price as the star of the show. My studes still watch it on black flag days. You tell young people today that we once went to war at low level, tossing dumb 1000 pounders, and they just don't believe you!

smartman
7th Jul 2003, 17:34
The best things about the film were the film-crew freebies (courtesy the director, Hugh Hudson) in Gib and London, and the continuity girl --------

Timelord
8th Jul 2003, 03:51
circle kay.
Thank you for your excellent steer on finding the movie; a brief call to "Film Images" revealed that for a (fairly high) price a VHS copy would be dispatched. Actually I think that this may have opened a large can of worms - their database contains all kinds of stuff of sentimental interest to those of us of a "certain age":O

Captain Gadget
9th Jul 2003, 14:58
Max R8

Would that be the Phil Price who immortalised himself on celluloid with an opening line that went something very like "Who the f*ck's got my long johns?"

Gadget :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
9th Jul 2003, 21:01
It doesn't seem to be available from source anymore but the film was on a video called 'Great Warplanes of the RAF' published by The Aviation Video Library.

It features the 9 Sqn Tornado film, a Jaguar film (226OCU and a RAFG squadron), a Nimrod film (Kinloss) plus '12 Squadron Buccaneers'.

Email me if you want to borrow it. It's gathering dust though I occasionally have a look to remind me of my staff cadet days at 12AEF when we would dig out the old celluloid versions to watch during scrubbed flying days ;)

jimgriff
10th Jul 2003, 00:30
Ah, what memories!!
A long time ago I used to work as a projectionist at the local cinema. The great "12 SQDN BUCCANEERS" film was part of our stock of short fims to be shown before the feature.
The best sesh was a six week showing of the above film with "MAKING MOVIES" by Dire Straits every night........

Anyway, most of the film can be seen on a Castle Video, exclusive to WH Smith, Cat no CVI1822.
This video ends with footage of a Bucc at abott 450kts IAS at 8' between two hangers. Has to be seen to be believed!!!!