PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic help please - I am stumped

Timothy
5th Jul 2003, 16:32
At home I have a 4 port ADSL router, with wiring to four outlets round the house, including one each in the two boys' bedrooms.

Boy 2 and my PC work fine, on the internet no probs.

Boy 1 has two symptoms:

1) He can ping the internet, but cannot browse it
2) The router has the 10mbps light on, not the 100mbps

As both things happened at the same time I am assuming that they are linked.

I started with the IP side and determined that his setup is the same as Boy 2.

I then did my very best diagnostics, changing out parts one by one. His PC is now in the same room as the router, plugged directly into it using a different wire, into a different socket; I have swapped the PCI NIC for an identical one from the office, and put it into a different PCI slot. There is no point looking at NIC drivers or BIOS, because the router light goes to 10mbps the moment I switch the PC power on (Ihave checked that Boy 2's goes immediately to 100mbps.)

The only thing I haven't changed is the motherboard (which I could swap between the two boys'), but that would be a major, major operation that I am not really up for.

Has anyone any bright suggestions?

TIA

W

fobotcso
6th Jul 2003, 02:02
Mr C, you said:

As both things happened at the same time I am assuming that they are linked.

Is it too late to remember what it was you did just before these two events happened?

To ping and not to Browse, that is a question.

Try "ipconfig" in a Command Window and see what the IP address is of the recalcitrant machine. If its not in the range that your Router would like it to be, it is likely that Boy1's Winsock is broken. I assume that your Router expects all Machines to do what they are told and if they don't it will not play ball.

This (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257) has got me out of a hole more than once. WinsockFix can be found on may sites; it has become very popular.

Timothy
6th Jul 2003, 04:45
fobotcso

Thank you ever, ever so much, that has indeed got boy 1 back on the internet. :ok: :ok:

Strangely, the NIC is still running at 10mbps (this is really odd, as I have tried two different NICs) but that doesn't matter as he only uses the LAN to access the internet, which peaks at 512kbps, of course. Nonetheless it's really odd.

Anyway, I owe you a great debt of gratitude, so many, many thanks,

W