PDA

View Full Version : *** SAA : No DVT on cheap seats ***

Gunship
5th Jul 2003, 06:20
:E

SAA-funded study rules out DVT in cheap seats

July 04 2003 at 11:36AM

The link between flying and deep vein thrombosis (DVT), or so-called "economy class syndrome", is much weaker than previously reported, a study by an international group of medical academics revealed on Friday.

Presenting the report in Johannesburg, group leader and Witwatersrand University professor Barry Jacobson said that of the 434 passengers that had had a duplex scan, none had ultrasonic evidence of the venous thrombosis.

At least 899 passengers were recruited for the research, which started in April last year. South African Airways paid the bulk of the R3.5-million cost of the research. :E

Tests were carried out on volunteers on the Johannesburg-London route of SAA before boarding and on disembarkation.

'There is no evidence that the economy class travellers are at increased risk'
The report said nine passengers tested at departure had elevated D-dimer levels and these volunteers were excluded from further study. D-dimer is a blood component that breaks down blood clots when they form due to bleeding or bruising.

"Our results show, encouragingly, that the incidence of deep vein thrombosis or clotting is much lower than previously reported in other research or in anecdotal evidence," he said.

Previous studies reported that as many as 10 percent of passengers travelling without prophylaxis for long distances on airlines may develop a venous thrombosis.

Jacobson said: "There is, however, no evidence that the economy class travellers are at increased risk of this condition."

The DVT, which has also been described as "jetleg", is the clotting of blood due to damaged blood vessels. - Sapa

:E

Mike Blackburn
6th Jul 2003, 07:39
Are these guys for real?

Last time I checked, Jetlag is what one experiences due to altering of the body clock as a result of crossing time zones. I don't think a DVT has anything to do with clocks, zones, or any alteration in these!

As a doc, I would be very suspicious of a study funded by an airline to prove that DVT is not caused by long distance travel in economy class seats. This immediately degrades the value of the study, due to reasons of observer bias, and conflict of interest.

This is not any slight on Prof Jacobsen, who is a brilliant clinician, and a well respected lecturer at my alma mater.

The simple facts about deep vein thrombosis are the following:
1. blood clots if it does not circulate.
2. Circulation is impeded as a result of long periods of sitting inactivity.
3. Sitting in an aircraft cabin long haul = long period of sitting inactively (unless one is completing an application to the mile-high club :))

Therefore, one is at increased risk from a deep vein thrombosis. (Which we all knew) The name, economy class syndrome was given because it is mainly seen in economy class passengers.

This is because more seat miles are flown in economy class than in other classes.

PAXboy
6th Jul 2003, 08:09
Unfortunately for those that compiled and those that paid for, this document - I don't believe them.

Why not? Why take such an unreasonable and blanket rejection of this work?

Well, they are defending their own position, so independence is doubted. More importantly:

1) The cigarette companies maintained that there was no problem until the moment that they admitted that they had known for more than 30 years that there was a problem.

2) The 'intelligence' agencies of the major Western powers (US led) maintained that the USSR was going to strike us all down (probably at 45 minutes notice ;) ) until the USSR collapsed in a pile of rust and we discovered that they could not have done so.

There are many examples of people denying things until the moment when they can deny them no longer.

This report may well be 100% correct but the folks have an uphill job because too many humans have told lies before them, whilst walking on similar paths.

Cardinal Puff
7th Jul 2003, 17:14
...JetLEG not jetLAG. I agree with you on the validity of the research funded by SAA, though. Self interest so blatant should be seen to be the joke it is.

George Tower
7th Jul 2003, 18:47
I', not a medical doctor neither am I lawyer, but I'll give my two pennyworth on this.

1. People are now flying in record numbers - naturally as more people fly the cases of so called "economy class syndrome" are increasing. So as aviation continues to grow naturally there will be more cases reported.

2. We live in a society which is now far more inclined/able to take legal action. One has only to look to America and find that there are cases being brought against United and AA over 9-11 to see that this ugly precedent will spread world wide. We are fast developing a lets sue anybody mentality.

3. Surely people who get DVT are unhealthy to begin with and should be made to sign some sort of disclaimer before they fly.

4. Never mind the pax what about the pilots. Surely they spend more time most sat in a cramped flight deck not doing very much (physically anyway). Any incidents of DVT in pilots?

Finally I must just say that any studies done which are not from an Independant source and further more seen to be indepedant will not go very far. - Campbell, Blair, the BBC:rolleyes:

Mike Blackburn
8th Jul 2003, 06:24
OOPS! Sorry C.P. I guess all the Guinness is making me dylsexic.

That kind of throws a hole in my first few paragraphs doesn't it?
Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be a better day!

Gunship
8th Jul 2003, 06:30
Tx for all the replies !

Dr Mike .. visit the friendly African forum more .. we have cold beer in warm Africa :p

Mike Blackburn
8th Jul 2003, 07:20
Tx Gunss.
Better cold beer in warm africa, than warm beer in cold England!

I know all about the cold beer and warm climes, since I am South African!! Currently earning the mighty pound, but counting days until I am back in Gods own Country!
I'd quite happily kill for a Castle right about now, or a Windy Corner..... :}

This forum is my haven of South African sanity in the UK, thanks all.
Some so-called expat forums are generally full of people who have fled to pastures greener (wetter?) with no plans to return, who spend all their time griping about how awful things are/were in SA. :yuk:

This forum makes me homesick!

Keep up the great work okes!

Stumpie
8th Jul 2003, 18:43
George Tower,

Pretty sweeping statement that people who get a DVT must be unhealthy to start with! There are certain blood disorders that can cause a DVT which I suppose if you want to be pedantic could be viewed as the concerned person being unhealthy, but in most cases the first one knows about the problem is in the aftermath of suffering a DVT.

Any DVT problems among pilots? Yes. Me and at least 3 others that I know of. In my case I was diagnosed with a gene defect known as Leiden Factor V. Would not surprise me if a lot of the people who have suffered a DVT while flying do not have this condition which is hereditry. The danger is increased in women if they are on the pill which might also explain why a number of the recent cases of fatal DVTs have been seemingly healthy young women. Perhaps a Doctor here on Prune can give us an opinion.

Stumpie

George Tower
8th Jul 2003, 21:52
I was just trying to toss a few ideas in to the discussion. It does seem that the issue of DVT has only really come into the mainstream in the last few years and yet we have had long haul flights for more than a generation. However I am not saying that it isn't a problem just that the news media are making this a bigger issue than it probably is.

It seems that airlines the world over have a lot to cope with. Other than terrorism, war in Iraq, SARS, the environmentalist lobby want to shaft us. Heathrow came damned close to losing night flights, and now the european parliament want to impose extra charges on the industry re. overbooking etc.

I just fear that if damages are awarded in a case brought against an airline over DVT then the floodgates will open.

Mike Blackburn
9th Jul 2003, 07:02
You are right Stumpie. I am sure that most people who get DVTs have predisposing factors. Many of these, like Leiden Factor V, Protein C and S Deficiency and auto-immune diseases are often undiagnosed until such an incident occurs.

Interestingly, a lot of these conditions are more prevalent in women, which may explain the higher incidence in them.

There is some controversy over the oral contraceptive pill. earlier variants of the pill were high in oestrogen, which increased the risk of clotting, especially in those over the age of 35 and smokers. Newer preparations have low oestrogen doses in them, although some still have the higher doses.

Having said all that, there are some people who get DVTs out of the blue, and no apparent cause is ever found.

The risks can be reduced, and the methods are well known - drink lots (non alcholic beverages :( ), move around as much as possible, and take aspirin before a flight (only if not allergic, not suffering from stomach conditions and if in any doubt in consultation with GP etc)

I wonder if anyone will be able to prove that a DVT was a direct result of a flight on an aircraft? I think that it would be very difficult to say that this person would not have had a DVT if they had not travelled.

Cardinal Puff
10th Jul 2003, 21:21
It's the close proximity to so many Poms wot does it;) .

Must say the (real) beer's pretty good, though. The plastic fizzy bottled and canned stuff however........

Stumpie
11th Jul 2003, 05:31
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your informative post. I fully agree with your views and conclusions. I do find it surprising that the Airlines are not pursuing this line of thought more vigorously. With the present climate in the world, where blame always has to find a home, it is only a matter of time before some sharp lawyer gets a sympathetic jury and the precedent will be set for wholesale liigation against the airline industry.

Stumpie