PDA

View Full Version : Too many processes running... Win98.. how to stop em please ...

brockenspectre
5th Jul 2003, 03:49
Hi all

Me again! This time it is a question about how to stop unnecessary processes running. I recently ran Ad-aware and it found 31 processes running - no wonder I think my puter is slow!

When I Ctrl-Alt-Del there are 16 items ... I am sure I don't need all of them ...

How do I stop these processes starting up in the first place please?

I did run a search of the forum but didn't find anything on point - if this has been asked before please just re-direct me!

Thanks

:ok:

fobotcso
5th Jul 2003, 04:10
Hi again, 8 to 10 processes would normally be enough for a busy Win98 PC so it sounds as though you are feeding some extras.

Can you list them for us? The two you must have are:

Explorer (that's Windows Explorer)
Systray

And then you may have;

A graphics driver
AntiVirus (Sometimes two or three processes)
Rulaunch (for antivirus auto update)
waulaunch (that's Windows Update)
Perhaps a Firewall
And some other drivers such as InfraRed

These processes are started in two ways:

There's the folder at C: \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
And there's the Registry.

Okay, don't worry about editing the Registry. Here's how you can control those "Startup Processes"

Start>Run>type "msconfig" and press Rtn>click on far right tab called "Startup" and there you can select the ones you want to start and uncheck the ones you think you can do without. Play around a bit and seeif things improve.

timmcat
5th Jul 2003, 04:31
Are you running an HP printer.. I've seen 4 or 5 processes associated with one of these kick in on boot.

brockenspectre
5th Jul 2003, 04:46
OK these are the running processes:

AOL
Explorer
Internat
Mpftray
Piccent
Pmfagent
Pcbooster
Lcoms
Stimon
Mcvsrte
Mcagent
Seti@home
Systray
Hgcctl95
Modembtr
Rnaap
Hpztsb06

and yes i do have an HP printer! and am running McAfee Security Center (anti-virus and firewall online)...

I have had a fiddle in msconfig, unclicked about five items and all but Piccent and Internat are still running!!!

HELP!!!

:D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jul 2003, 06:17
brockenspectre,

You are right, that is a lot of junk running there. Before you attack them with MSConfig, go:

Start > Programs > Startup

Delete everything in there. (You might want to just move them to a temp folder just in case.) Chances are if they are in that folder they are not needed for any program to run on your computer. Anything in the Startup Folder will launch when Windows Boots.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

brockenspectre
6th Jul 2003, 02:23
Capt Gentil - I have just got home from a day at the airfield, saw your post and thought "YAY!... but there is only AOL sitting in Start-Programs-Startup :(

Guess I will go fiddle with msconfig .. kinda scary but .. hope y'all see me later!!

:D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Jul 2003, 02:27
brockenspectre,

There is no need for AOL to load no boot. You can take it out of there.

When you play with MSConfig, just turn off one or two items at a time and reboot. If your comp still runs fine, try one or two more. Do not go in and start removing checkmarks, have a plan.

Take Care,

Richard

brockenspectre
6th Jul 2003, 03:55
A BIG thank you .... I have fiddled with msconfig ... and the puter is now definitely running quicker! What a relief! I know my lil HP Vectra is ancient in puter terms but I need her to keep on running .. am soooooo happy that the various tweaks that have been recommended here have worked!

:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jul 2003, 08:46
brockenspectre,

That is great news!

Take Care,

Richard

A-V-8R
8th Jul 2003, 02:32
Rather than us MSCONFIG may I reccommend:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3386471,00.html

On some operating systems playing with MSCONFIG will cause an alternate desktop to load, although with a box to check to go to your normal desktop.

Mike Lin's software is a small program that allows you to check what is loaded on bootup both within the startup folder and also the registration keys.

He also has a small program that lives in the Systray and notifies you when a program is trying to hijack your home page.

Nice stuff, all free.

fobotcso
8th Jul 2003, 03:18
Cor bless us! The lassie came to ask how to reduce the number of processes running in the background and consuming her processor's clockticks.

May I say, with the greatest of respect ol' mate, that adding another process isn't going about it in exactly the right way. :oh:

73s :) :) fob

PS, wasn't I once in the Cub Scouts in Pelham?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Jul 2003, 08:26
A-V-8R,

Leo and Patrick rule. ;) I have been watching their show since before Kate Botello left. A lot of great stuff on their website.

Take Care,

Richard