PDA

View Full Version : Aol 8.0

Pirate
5th Jul 2003, 01:48
Has anybody else had problems installing aol 8.0? I had hoped it would be an improvement on the horrid 7.0 but whatever I do it freezes on the sign on page and only multiple restarts of Windows (98) allow me to get on line. I've had to go back to trusty 6.0 for sensible access, which is a pity, since there seem to be some good features on 8.0.:*

Keef
5th Jul 2003, 03:41
The only workable cure I know for such AOL problems is to change to a different ISP, then remove everything AOL from your PC. Sad, but true. Sorry, not a lot of help.

brockenspectre
5th Jul 2003, 05:20
Pirate and MikeJ I envy both of you. I have been with AOL for >6yrs and am currently running v7.0 ... when I went to download AOL 8.0 I was told that I don't have enough disc space :( suppose at some point I will get the CD through the post (as I did with AOL 7.0) but until then I have to stick with 7.

:)

Golden Runways
7th Jul 2003, 02:29
can't get aol 8 to install properly. downloaded it first, and it had problems, waited ages for the cd to arrive, only to find it worse. tech support blame old modem drivers, (one of their favourite things to blame).

BTW, my error message is VMM(01) +0000BC5D error 0E:0028:0000CC5D. look similar? also in sys info object 11025 consistantly fails to load.

because aol uses an adaptor to piggyback IE, there is supposedly conflict with old drivers. mine are the latest available for my modem. they advised installing in safe mode. so their advice: buy a new modem if you want aol8. can't be arsed. broadband beckons in the next year anyway.

also, i someone i know has been given price reduction from £15.99 to £12.99 for 'loyal long time custom'. anyone else got this?

aol is a strange ISP, but on dial up/unlimited/no disconnection after 2 hours, and i don't use BT, they deliver the goods generally. as soon as i'm on i open IE6 and browse from there anyway.

got 'staylive' click here (http://www.gregorybraun.com) and panicware pop-up stopper (http://www.panicware.com).

Cornish Jack
7th Jul 2003, 22:10
Have just installed AOL8 and (fingers, and everthing else, crossed) so far, no problems. This was part of a complete rehash from W98SE to XP Home.
I should point out that I had no wish to upgrade, and still don't, but it appears that my present machine has been specifically designed to operate with XP and throws a 'wobbly' when it's set up with 98. I thought this was a load of nonsense when the retailer told me this, but it certainly seemed to be that way. I had previously been under the impression that ALL PCs, by their very nature were 'backwards compatible' in OS terms but it seems that this may not be the case.
Any comments from the gurus, please?:confused: