PDA

View Full Version : meal service

qfmike737
4th Jul 2003, 15:25
I was just wondering if I could get an idea of some of the procedures flight attendants would use during some of the QF short haul flights.

One Question I would like to know is:

Between Brisbane and Sydney...

1)How many minutes do the crew have to serve breakfast to the customers?

2)How many minutes do the customers have to consume their breakfast?

3)How many minutes does it take to collect the meal trays?

...On both the 767 and 737 -800?

When is the best time to interract with customers???

Thanks guys I'm just very curious to know.

TightSlot
4th Jul 2003, 23:19
Can't help you with Southern Hemisphere stuff specifically, but for a generic calculation:

[list=1]
Crew per pax - divide the number of pax by the number of crew (in each cabin or class), this gives you the number of pax to crew ratio. This in itself is a fairly meaningless measure, but is useful for comparing the different workloads on different aircraft types. For example, my company ratio would work out as: 757-200 @ 39.16 or with reduced crew @ 47.

Time per pax - work out the flight time (airborne) and adjust for time lost when seatbelt signs are on, then divide by the crew ratio figure shown above. For example a 90 minute flight, less 20 minutes (10 minutes at each end for a secure cabin) gives 70 minutes, divided by my 47 pax allows just under a minute and a half per person. Again, a meaningless figure, but a quick and dirty way of measuring workload between different sector/crew combinations.
[/list=1]

I'm sure some kind soul in QF will give you the heads up on the detail: As to interraction with customers, you get your 90 seconds, I guess. Of course, if I accidentally give one customer 100 seconds, it means someone else will only get 80 (who knows, they may think that a good thing?)

I just re-read this and realised what a sad old git I've become, using maths to quantify cabin services - Maybe I should get out more!

:sad:

qfmike737
5th Jul 2003, 09:54
Thanks very much for that it was really interesting! I have copied it down. hopefully one of the QF crew might let me know.

I have been told that cabin crew are constantly tested on how effecient they are during services ie serving meals etc.

Anyways thanks again

Ciao

Hypoxic Harry
5th Jul 2003, 15:53
I work for Qlink, and it depends on what type of passengers I have on board to how much I interact with them. You can usually pick up on their body language if they want to have a chit chat with you. Sometimes you will get the entire flight full of pax that spend the whole time reading the newspapers. Then you will get the other flights where you will have all the little grans and pops, that are just itching to tell you why they are on a plane and why they are going to the big smoke!:)

As for the service, well I just get as much done as quick as possible, reason being is that alot of our flights are quiet quick. When I do have longer flights, after the main service is done I just wander slowley up the isle with coffe/tea/wine ect. I find it better to not ask each individual on the 2nd or 3rd round. Just go slow enough, so if they want something they can easily stop you. No need to constantly be in the pax face.

So with my service, I just leave it up to my comen sense, and what the pax's body language tells me.

And they must be pretty happy, as I do not have to many call bells going off saying " gimme gimmee gimme". :D :)