PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Navs to be posted to VIP role

Surditas
4th Jul 2003, 09:05
Here's a rumour I heard recently. Doesn't sound credible, except I've now heard it from a few independent sources.
With the demise of the fast jet nav role in the RAAF (ie: F-111) some time in the foreseeable future, it seems we will have an oversupply of Navs that Maritime and Hercworld won't be able to soak-up too easily. The answer to this problem is that Navs will be posted to VIPworld to fly in the BBJ and Challenger. On asking what they will be doing there I was told "Running the FMS and doing fuel graphs". Surely there are better ways to employ Navs in the RAAF.

Mach the Knife
4th Jul 2003, 10:43
Could be employed as a chock.

BlueWolf
4th Jul 2003, 16:59
Any update on the rumour that the RAAF may be getting Eagles which could absorb them?

DutchRoll
4th Jul 2003, 19:43
You gotta be kidding, Surditas! Fuel graphs? Are they edible? And running the FMS? Are they going to issue them with pogo sticks with hands attached to them, so they can reach the FMS from the jumpseat?

Magic Mushroom
5th Jul 2003, 05:20
Surditas,
There is an obvious ac which will be entering RAAF service shortly, and which will be an ideal outlet for former F-111 navs: your 737 AEW&C Wedgetail.

As a Brit AWACS guy, we continue to strive to ensure the most diverse mission crew mix possible on our own E-3D's. Aircrew from other fleets are outstanding value for a C2 platform which is required to operate in a joint role, with uniquely diverse 'customers'. And I'm not just talking fast jet mates here; given recent ops, Support Helo, Tac Herc and even (dare I say it) Army personnel can all make a considerable contribution to an AWACS platform. F-111 navs are a prime example, and it will be a complete waste of their tactical knowledge to make them glorified VIP stewards.

Regrettably, despite the best efforts of your RAAF and RAN colleagues who've completed secondment tours with ourselves, I understand that the back of the Wedgetail will be purely FC manned. Such a cold war 'AEW is only for AD' mindset will be shown to be a gross error when you get your highly capable Wedgetail jets. Assuming you don't get some F-15E's, get those Pig navs onto Wedgetail!!!
Regards,
M2

Charlie Luncher
5th Jul 2003, 17:11
M2

Not all the seats are going to be FCs:8 as you know they aint that bright and some of the equipment is a little complex, plus they need to be supervised closely by Aircrew.:E

Running for cover as I type :}

Pass-A-Frozo
5th Jul 2003, 18:22
I agree with Mac.

Employ them as chocks.

Episkopiana
7th Jul 2003, 11:37
I totally agree, they have been holding up Tasks for years, so why not employ them in really holding up something. If they don't like it, you could always send them on a prison ship to an Island in the Pacific. Maybe the one Next to New Zealand. Or has someone already thought of that??????????????????????

:ok:

reynoldsno1
7th Jul 2003, 12:13
Any body who dispenses advice AND admits to being from Cheltenham has to be as suspect as a salesman in white shoes....:E

Surditas
7th Jul 2003, 13:51
Magic Mushroom.

I daresay when we finally to get Wedgetail that the Nav category will be on it.
There doesn't seem to be much chance of us getting Strike Eagles. The Gumm'int seems keen on JSF, so much so that a Nav I was talking to last year was curious to know how many two-seater JSF's we would be buying, believing that we will operate them the same as we operate F-111's. It's not such a strange idea as the RAAF has a history of specifying stuff that no-one else uses so two-seater JSF's might be the go.
As for the VIP/Nav thing, I heard the first posting is coming up soon (next eighteen months or so). Like I said, seems far fetched, but I have heard it from a few independent sources now. DPO probably hasn't heard of it, but they're the last to know when it comes to postings :p

Cougar
10th Jul 2003, 07:04
To run the FMC?? Why on earth do they need an extra person to run the FMC? Apparently pilots are not intellectual enough to do this whilst flying at the same time... apparently why we have so many aviation accidents in Asutralia: because both pilots are so maxed out trying to program the FMC that they smack in. Go figure :confused:

wessex19
13th Jul 2003, 14:34
WOW, this beggers belief.

Is there actually any truth to this or what?? I thought the F-111C ang F-111G were to be replaced along with the F-18 A/B by a combined aircraft order commencing in about 2015!!!
I have been out of the picture for a while now in civvy street so could someone enlighten me who is blowing smoke out their rccs :zzz:

DutchRoll
14th Jul 2003, 10:54
2 seater JSFs - wishful thinking. If I were a Nav, I'd be racing out & getting an MBA right now.

Are you sure they're going to be flying? It sounds more like they might be doing task planning or something. I suppose they could always fix a spare FMS-CDU to a circuit breaker panel with gaffa tape and string. The RAAF has done stranger things.:ok:

Fox3snapshot
15th Jul 2003, 15:10
The crew composition, application and implimentation aspects of Wedgetail have not been finalized and a team exists to address these issues in, what will be for the Ozzy Defence Force, a formidible expansion of its capability.

There should be a spare seat for an ATC dude or dudette too if you want some quality operators on the job! ("Click"....pin pulled from grenade....lob....aaaaand run!)

:E

BEagle
15th Jul 2003, 15:43
Oz will also be getting a new tanker-transport ac in a very few years, the A330-200 being the one that comfortably meets the spec. Or perhaps the windowless KC-767A if Boeing can stretch the brochure to meet your spec........

Both of which will need a Systems Operator in the AR role, particularly if you get JTIDS and a Wedgetail-clone DASS. So perhaps there'll be jobs for your navs on that?

PS - If you're reading this, Heather, g'day and I hope you're enjoying yourself back in Godzone and away from the Brizzle Waterworld!!

Magic Mushroom
16th Jul 2003, 05:01
Fox3SS,
Joking aside, the possibility of trialing a small number of RAF ATCOs on the E-3D as a means of assisting the shortage of FCs has already been mooted at Waddington.
However, before you get too excited, they'd have to go and do the FC course first!
Regards,
M2

Fox3snapshot
16th Jul 2003, 14:11
Magic Mushy

Nothing like keeping the ol variety up in life eh? Still, unfortunately, as I am not in the RAF loop and don't fit into a zoom bag very well anymore (if at all!), I will have to be content with staring at my scope here in the sandpit and looking after you fellah's when you come out here to our magnificant expanse of sand we call home.

I guess you will be missing this part of the world now after having enjoyed your all expenses paid working holiday to our dusty southern regions of Arabia (buckets and spades included) !? Spare a thought for the Nimrod boys.....they are still stuck here chasing schools of sea bass!

:sad:

Ex Douglas Driver
16th Jul 2003, 17:11
Mutant sea bass with fricken laser beams on their heads??:E

Fox3snapshot
16th Jul 2003, 20:19
Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in.....

:8