PDA

View Full Version : Bungles makes World Heritage List

Transition Layer
4th Jul 2003, 07:42
Without meaning to cramp Wirraway's style, thought some readers might be interested as the combined Bungles Scenic tally for ppruners probably reaches well into the tens of thousands!!!

Cheers,
TL

The West Australian, 4th July, 2003

Bungle Bungles make the list

By Yonnene Pearce and Anne Buggins

PEOPLE in the East Kimberley are tipping an economic boost and influx of visitors with the world heritage listing of Purnululu National Park, home of the distinctive Bungle Bungles.

World heritage status was bestowed on the park by the World Heritage Committee in Paris on Wednesday night for its aesthetic natural values.

It is the 15th site in Australia and second in WA after Shark Bay to get world heritage listing.

In Halls Creek, 110km south-west of the park, the talk yesterday was about nothing else.

Halls Creek Motel co-owner Diana Verlinden expected benefits to flow.

She is organising new promotional visitors' brochures to include the world heritage status and is considering whether to add a safari-tour to the accommodation business she runs with her partner.

Halls Creek shire chief executive Peter McConnell said the listing would mean greater exposure for the region, development and job opportunities.

Federal Environment and Heritage Department senior executive Kevin Keefe said the listing would not change park management but would add a layer of protection by making the State and Commonwealth internationally accountable for meeting world heritage standards.

CALM Kimberley manager Chris Done said about 25,000 people flew over and 20,000 drove into the park each year.

Purnululu Aboriginal Corporation spokesman Ben Cross said reaction among traditional owners was mixed. "The listing will give a bit more power to Aboriginal people from the area to put their rules in place, and will give recognition to their attachment to their country," he said. "But people are also concerned about the possible implications of increased tourism."

The area was little-known until 1982 when aerial pictures were widely circulated. The State Government created the national park in 1987 and worked for several years to get the Federal nomination for world heritage listing.

compressor stall
4th Jul 2003, 08:47
Well I only did 70. (Our wanderings were 3.9 logbook though).

Out of interest, how many Bungles scenics have others done here? Let's keep a tally.... :8

Agent86
4th Jul 2003, 08:57
Only 1 :O

But as that was in a C130 with the ramp down and lots of people plastered to a cargo net looking at what we had just seen, it was a good one :ok:

giddy up
4th Jul 2003, 09:27
What about the Wolfe Creek Crater.......the 2nd most exciting hole in the ground in the world!! Surely it's World Heritage material....

:p :uhoh: :p

Dave Incognito
4th Jul 2003, 11:19
At last count there were just over 190 bungle entries in the log book. Still well short of the magic 500 though. Upon taxiing in from the 500th you become certifiably insane and have to be helped from the aeroplane because you are a blabbering mess.

Many of the resident chopper boys have well over 1000 trips around the rock. :eek:

Nipper
4th Jul 2003, 11:45
:zzz: Only 263

One of our other pilots did over 1000 in fixed wing.:ugh:

Lurk R
5th Jul 2003, 21:00
Just the one for me.

But that was in a Toyota HiLux!!! ;)

redsnail
5th Jul 2003, 22:05
265. I got out just in time.
Don't ask me how many times I flew around the Buchaneer archipelago at dot feet though....

Taggert
6th Jul 2003, 10:15
Ahh the Bungle Bungles...!

Those were the days, just had a terrifying flashback. Howdy guys, did about 300 odd, which was pretty golden given I was up there for 4 seasons. Did do about 150 trips around the Horries though.

Up that way next week so I may just do 1 for old time sake...

Cheers, Taggert:ok:

Satchmo
6th Jul 2003, 11:08
Well I did 475 round trips...some in the float planes of the time and the rest in light twins and singles...and yes I am certifiably insane???!!!:} :yuk: :8

RaTa
6th Jul 2003, 13:45
Are the scenic flights busy this year?

Transition Layer
6th Jul 2003, 15:11
In Halls Creek, 110km south-west of the park, the talk yesterday was about nothing else.

Sure beats the usual "who have the cops been sh*gging this week"!!!!:D

TL

redsnail
7th Jul 2003, 01:43
yeah Satchmo,
And you hadn't even been gone 3 months and you were zooming all over Hall's Creek at a silly height! :D