PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick to Berlin

sparkymarky
3rd Jul 2003, 16:40
From www.gpia.co.uk

More good news for Scotland.

GLASGOW PRESTWICK ANNOUNCES NEW LOW-COST ROUTE TO BERLIN

Prestwick has more international scheduled services than BAA's Abbotsinch

Berlin-based low fares operator Germania Express today (Thursday July 3, 2003) confirmed it will commence direct scheduled flights between Glasgow Prestwick and the German capital in August.

Germania has opted for low-cost Glasgow Prestwick instead of Glasgow Abbotsinch where high charges have already deterred easyJet and bmibaby.

Germania Express will commence its no-frills service to Berlin Tegel using Fokker 100-type aircraft.

Whilst this is a true low-cost operation, passenger comfort is second to none. The beautifully fitted-out aircraft have 100 all-leather seats positioned at a 36" pitch.

The service will initially operate once daily Monday through Friday arriving in Glasgow Prestwick at 12:15 and departing at 12:45.

All fares will be €88 one way including all taxes irrespective of when the booking is made on www.gexx.de

The route is the third from Prestwick to be assisted by the Scottish Executive Interim Route Development Fund. The first two were Ryanair's new routes from Glasgow Prestwick to Barcelona Girona and Stockholm Skavsta.

Germania is one of Germany's largest low cost airlines. It operates to seventeen European destinations - five in Germany, four in Spain, three in Austria, two in Switzerland, and it also flies to Salonika, Istanbul and Tiflis in Georgia.

German Chief Executive Dr. Hinrich Bischoff said: "I'm delighted to be able to provide this new air service and am very confident that Berliners will be using it to visit Scotland in large numbers. Through the fantastic co-operation and partnership with Glasgow Prestwick, I am hopeful that this link between Scotland and Germany will be the first of many for Germania."

kpiko3
3rd Jul 2003, 20:17
Low cost operator with 1st class seats,nice
It sais daily Mon to Fri,but what about sat.GPIA havnt yet put the timetable up.

JerryStClair
4th Jul 2003, 08:37
WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!

Ryanair will start services to somewhere near to Berlin, I wouldn't think they will be chuffed by the news as rumours say they want to expand heavily into Germany

kpiko3
4th Jul 2003, 18:06
If they do,

it will be to Berlin Schohenfeld,I think that is how you spell it because they allready fly there from Stansted.It would be good to have 2 berlin rotations by 2 diff airlines.Mind you there is a 737-800 getting based in September so Berlin could probably be a route along with Milan Bergamo.

Departures Beckham
8th Jul 2003, 06:59
It'll be interesting to see how the pricing structure works. If the fare is going to be EUR88 whenever you book, why book early? It seems to be the same policy that Now Airlines are planning which may (or may not) cause cash-flow problems.

Down here at Stansted we have both Ryanair and Air Berlin flying to Berlin (AB into TXL). AB's loads seem to be fine but not too sure what FR's are like.