View Full Version : STC Modified Aircraft & Type Endorsements

poteroo
3rd Jul 2003, 15:39
A licenced pilot buys a C182 which has been modified to tailwheel configuration under an appropriate STC.

Pilot then decides to obtain Tailwheel type endorsement on said aircraft, and so would other associates.

(1) is this legal?

(2) what type is written into logbook?

(3) with appropriate insurances, could this aircraft be used by a flight school for t/w type training of other pilots?

(4) pilot goes overseas, offers logbook as evidence of t/w experience, but is queried about how it is all on a C182. What now? Photo of the aircraft pasted into logbook?

I have already obtained a CASA reply on this. It is interesting to say the least.

cheers,

RB

swh
3rd Jul 2003, 18:38
RV6

You need a special design feature endorsement whenever an aeroplane has a special design feature like constant speed prop, tailwheel, retract, ski, float, floating hull, pressurisation.

The 182 can far as I know can have the CSU, tailwheel, retract, ski, or float configurations.

You should get a form 188 filled out for "Certificate of Aeroplane Special Design Feature" for "Tail-wheel undercarriage" once you have been found competent at using it.

"Tail wheel undercarriage" sticker should go into your logbook.

If the STC is recognised in Australia, and the flight manual etc has all been updated etc, yes it can be used at a flying school. If the STC is not recognised in Australia, its an experimental aircraft and cannot be used by a flying school or for charter/RPT.

You can make a copy of the certificate of aeroplane special design feature endorsement (form 188) as evidence, it will have the callsign and aircraft type on it.

I don’t really see the big deal, it like going to overseas and getting a float endorsement on an 182, and bringing the endorsement on the overseas licence back with you and saying to CASA here is my overseas Licence with a float endorsement, now give me a float endorsement on my Australian licence, pay $20 fill the form in and you have it.

The tailwheel endorsement will be on your licence, that’s all the other ICAO contracting states look for, the FAA email CASA for all your ratings and endorsements now as part of their security checks to get the info first hand from the horses mouth.

Torres
4th Jul 2003, 07:56
I seem to recall around a decade ago that a Cessna 150 with an approved tail wheel mod (and I think, a bigger engine), was used by Chestie's flying school on the Gold Coast for flying training and tail wheel endorsements.

Here's one Aussie link:

http://users.northnet.com.au/~richter/nwasite/tailwheelconversions.htm