PDA

View Full Version : SIA makes passenger pay for unscheduled landing in Darwin

Lee
3rd Jul 2003, 13:41
Thursday July 3, 1:15 PM
Mid-air misbehaviour may cost SIA passenger dearly

SYDNEY, July 3 (Reuters) - A Singapore Airlines flight made an unscheduled stop in northern Australia on Thursday to eject an unruly passenger, and the man could be asked to pay the A$25,000 ($17,000) bill.
A spokesman for Singapore Airlines said it was exploring ways to get the man to pay at least some of the additional costs, such as landing charges, caused by the unexpected stop in Darwin during a flight from Singapore to Brisbane.

The man, an Australian, had been having a heated discussion with a companion, "involving a lot of profanity", and then became more unruly when flight crew refused to serve him a drink.

"The captain made the call to divert the flight because he was satisfied that not only was this passenger causing a significant disruption to the flight but that disruption was causing significant distress to other passengers," the spokesman said. "That's a decision we unreservedly stand by."

The passenger was handed over to police after flight SQ235, carrying 298 passengers and 14 crew, landed in Darwin at 3:41 a.m. local time (1841 GMT Wednesday). He is to be produced in court later in the day.

Singapore Airlines estimated the additional costs incurred by the diversion amounted to between A$24,000-A$25,000, including fuel, landing rights, air traffic control fees, hiring of ground staff in the middle of the night and missed connections.

"There were no complaints from passengers about the decision to put down in Darwin and get rid of this guy. In fact, when he was led off the aircraft by police, the police were cheered," the spokesman said.

4th Jul 2003, 00:24
Wonder How SQ deals with Unruly Management?

:cool:

Slasher
4th Jul 2003, 23:09
I was about to agree with SQs decision until I read the bit that said "Australian".

I recall once when we were enroute to NZ (SQ338 or 388 I think) and the blower rang with the I.F.S. screamin about 2 drunk goons feelin up the stews and tellin everyone to go get f**ked (in mandarin). The expat pom skipper reckoned we should set down in MEL (250nm INS ahead) and dump them. The I.F.S. told him to please leave things be, or the whole crew will be suspended on return to SIN. Turns out the 2 goons were asistant SS Staffenfurhers of Herr Harrys PAP! Skip and Chief made out strong reports but we found out later were buryed by the Stalags 747 Luftflotten Geschwader Komadore.

I put the DWN saga to just another gualo-bash. But cant rightley disagree entirley with the decision to sue there arses. If it sets an int'l presadent it might lower number of cases of air rage.

sia sniffer
10th Jul 2003, 10:04
Do I see 298 pax, and SIA say they are running on empty?! Same bull, same lies, same sucker pay cuts. And isnt the sars thing over?

Chocks Away
23rd Jul 2003, 10:26
Mate, you should have seen the goose.

Saw a clip of him on ABC news and mate, he shouldn't have been let on the plane for a start... just looked like trouble! Red head too! Typical bogan/peasant attire... some peole just don't know how to behave.:}