PDA

View Full Version : Canadian military pilot advice needed

Skytied
3rd Jul 2003, 09:43
First, hi all. :)

Alright. Here's the situation. I decided to make flying my profession (I guess like most of you on this board). In 2001, I flew for the first time with an instructor and became nuts ever since. I had decided I will do it like the majority of people starting out, by going the self-funded route (using the money my current full-time job is giving me and family support - for the time being).

Recently, I have started looking into enrolling in the Canadian Air Force (I live in Canada) as a pilot. Now... I wear glasses, and from what I've been told, I'm pretty much blocked as far as making it in the army goes under any form of piloting.

As you all know, the army is a huge institution with a lot of professions and possibilities. My objective here is not necessarily to be at the commands of an F-18, but to be doing any form of flying if possible (such as SAR or patrolling missions). So I'm posting this in the hopes of gaining some insight from you, especially those who have already enrolled in the canadian army, on what my options really are. I need some insider info to make sure I'll be making the right decision in dropping the Air Force option.

Also, I've seen some presentation videos on pilot jobs in the army, and some of the speakers were wearing glasses. While I know that this is not an official source of information, does this still mean it is possible?

Your input is appreciated.

Huron Topp
3rd Jul 2003, 10:01
Simply put, if you need glasses due to being near-sighted, you can forget being a pilot in the CF...period. You've seen pics of pilots wearing glasses, because once you've gone through pilot training if your eyes get worse, the gov has already put a heap of money into your training and aren't about to chuck you out.

You can go Navigator, assuming your eyes aren't that bad. All other flying positions can only come after you've gone through another trades training first. That includes flight engineer, airborne electronic sensor op, loadmaster or sartech.

saudipc-9
3rd Jul 2003, 14:34
Skytied,
OK just one small thing to start--It's the "Air Force" not the army.
They smell and we are much better looking:E
As far as eyesight is concerned, there are a number of limitations that come with wearing glassses or contacts. I don't know them all but a recruiting officer at one of the CF Offices should be able to tell you what is or is not acceptable.
Best of luck

Skytied
4th Jul 2003, 01:44
See, the thing is that I did go to a local recruiting center, and I spoke to what I suppose was a recruiting officer. She told me that usually, it doesn't happen, but that there are medical teams who are there for that and she can't decide for them. The week before I went there, I was on the phone with somebody and they told it depends on how severe it is. So I dont know who to talk to anymore.

Huron Topp
4th Jul 2003, 05:33
What is the prescription for your glasses?

Skytied
4th Jul 2003, 20:43
I'd rather keep that information private, but I could've been a bit luckier with my vision.

HUDcripple
5th Jul 2003, 05:28
Skytied,

Hear, hear, PC-9!!! That's what staying in hotels is good for!;)

When I went through Moose Jaw in 1992, one had to have 20/20 eyesight until wings graduation. After that, if you degraded to V2 eyesight, (sorry, I don't know the specifics...) you could still keep flying, provided you had eyesight correctable to 20/20. V3 meant no flying, ever. V4 meant you should be glad to have a job (... with your coke-bottle glasses...

I hope this helps, and best of luck, eh?!

H.c.

Huron Topp
5th Jul 2003, 05:37
Hear, hear, PC-9!!! That's what staying in hotels is good for!

hehe, tell that to the tachel boys.

If memory serves, V2 was about the same as a Transport Canada Class 1 med, about -3.50 diopters. I saw the file somewhere here, but I'm sure V3 was fine for AESOp.

dug it up: http://www.dciem.dnd.ca/medical/visreq_e.html

actually turns out you can still fly V3, you just need a seeing-eye cojo along for the ride in either tachel or -18s.:} You can even go to V4 with some restrictions. And, lower limit for AirNav spots is -2.00 before training.

saudipc-9
5th Jul 2003, 17:42
Skytied,
OK do "NOT" take no for a answer or let the recruiting officer blow you off with"She told me that usually, it doesn't happen, but that there are medical teams who are there for that and she can't decide for them"
Tell her you would like to see one of those medical teams and hear what they have to say!
Just because you wear glasses doesn't mean that you cannot press the issue and at least get it written down in black and white that you cannot be selected. (Are you seeing the kind of attitude that you need to show:} )
Go get em Tiger;)

HudC & Huron,
Do you know why the Tachel guys get paid a field allowance?

So they can buy extra bars of soap:p :p
Tee Hee

Huron Topp
5th Jul 2003, 20:25
So they can buy extra bars of soap

...or beer! You'd be amazed how many cans you can carry in the shell trays of an arty deuce-and-a-half. It ain't all bad.:}

By the way Skytied, laser surgery in any form is a no-go for pilot. turns out though, that if your eyes are below limits for Nav, laser surgery is OK.

Agree with Saudi, push the barstads. Do the initial medical, that'll let you know whether you can do it or not.