PDA

View Full Version : vision requirements for conversion??

woodey
3rd Jul 2003, 08:09
Does anyone know whether converting an FAA CPL to a JAR CPL would require an initial class I JAR medical or a renewal class I JAR medical ??
Thanks,
Woodey

heli_spy
3rd Jul 2003, 21:18
Hi

I just sent the CAA a similar enquiry concerning converting my ICAO CASA CPL (H) to a JAR CPL(H).

With regard to the Class 1 Medical if you have a current FAA Class 1 Medical and a valid CPL you only have to undertake an "extended renewal" at Gatwick and do not have to do the full initial half day medical with all those nasty flashing lights and heavy breathing.

Cheers

heli_spy

woodey
4th Jul 2003, 06:17
Thanks Heli_spy,
now, do you know whether the vision limit is 5 or 8 dioptres for the extended renewal (5 is the limit for initial JAR class I and 8 is permitted for renewals). Since I fall between the two, I could pass a renewal but not an initial. Wonder which it is for extended renewals???
Woodey

batu
4th Jul 2003, 22:54
Hi there!

I also fall in between the initial and renewal requirments! So do you have to pass the renewal or initial requirments?!
Thanks a lot!
Batu

Speedbird19
12th Jul 2003, 23:56
I am exactly the same as you guys, I'm going to America or Canada next year to do my CPL and Medical.
These are the renewal standards from the CAA website, it should make you feel better, it did me!!!
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=531
Hope this helps;)

baldwim
29th Jul 2003, 00:44
Hello,

Same here as well!

Never thought about the possiblilty of the faa->caa renewal route. Would be very interested.

Has anyone had any success this way?

expedite_climb
29th Jul 2003, 04:21
Don't know of the referance but believe that this is a valid route. Know at least one student that has been advised by a school to go this route.

gdnhalley
29th Jul 2003, 06:46
I have gone the FAA CPL, then renewal route, for my CAA class one medical which was issued last May. My problem was the difference between the diopters correction in each eye, 2 for an initial 3 for a renewal and I was about 2 and a half. I now have a frozen atpl and am filling out cv's and stuff like that, looking for my first job
good luck
gdn

baldwim
29th Jul 2003, 17:23
Well done gdn.

I'll have to give this some serious thought.

All I want to do is some part-time intructing but the CAA class 1 initial visual requirements are in the way of it all.

baldwim
1st Aug 2003, 22:16
Is it possible to know that you will pass the renewal class 1 before going to America to do the faa cpl/ir?

Hate to do all the work and still not get the class 1.

gdnhalley
3rd Aug 2003, 05:20
baldwim
yes it is possible, speak to the optometrist at the caa or even ask your local optician first, after showing him the renewal requirements.
good luck
gdn