PDA

View Full Version : "Mayday" - book by QF Capt. John Winslow (ret.)

B767300ER
3rd Jul 2003, 06:20
Just finished reading a softbound book, "MAYDAY" by QF (retired) 747 Captain John Winslow. Subtitled "17 Amazing true-life stories of aircrew fighting near impossible odds to bring their crippled aircraft back to earth."

Very good read, and very good commentary by Capt.Winslow.

Introduction by Nancy-Bird Walton, AO OBE

Highly recommended!

Anyone know how to send a Capt.Winslow a complimentary letter?

B767300ER
8th Jul 2003, 13:41
Also, it had some very enjoyable stories about checking out/qualifying new Captains/FOs at QF. Very enlightening perspective of QF training, which obviously is very good.

(I'll let the John Travolta PR scheme slide without comment!)

Going Boeing
8th Jul 2003, 15:04
He's a "golf nut" and he had a business producing Yardage books for golf courses around Oz. He probably has a web site so a search through golf yardage books may locate him.

twobigtesticles
8th Jul 2003, 15:50
I think I saw this book in a newsagent, and whilst i certainly didnt look at it thoroughly, a quick glance appeared * to show that some of the articles were just copies or summaries from Mac Jobs Air Disaster Books.

*I stress appeared as i didnt have agreat deal of time to look.....

B767300ER
9th Jul 2003, 23:58
Not copies of Mac Job's fine "Air Disaster" series, but similarly formatted. "Mayday" has photos, but no artwork like "Air Disaster", and the stories are only 3-5 pages long. In "Air Disater", the stories are much longer and more comprehensive.

Hopefully Mac Job will continue his series with an "AIr Disaster #5".

Captain Sand Dune
10th Jul 2003, 12:24
So what's a "Mayday" situation for a QF pilot then? No serviceable autopilot? Coffee supply exhausted? Hilton booked out? :} :}

cabin secure
21st Jul 2003, 23:58
B767300ER

Contacted his son today to let him know about this thread. You should hear something shortly.

Cheers.:ok:

B767300ER
23rd Jul 2003, 12:19
Thank you, all. I did manage to get Capt.Winslow's address in OZ, and I'll be sending him a letter shortly.

I was sorry to hear Mac Job won't be writing any more "Air Disaster" books. A pity.