PDA

View Full Version : Dash-8 to Kenya

ColeFace
3rd Jul 2003, 03:31
My buddy is en route (or there by now) with a Canadian Dash-8 out of Calgary destination Kenya for the UN.

He thinks its going to the same place as the Buffalos (DHC-5) but never had a lot of info last I spoke to him.

Anyone have any info on this operation?

howard meredith
3rd Jul 2003, 14:16
I was flight coordinator for WFP in Lokichoggio Kenya for four years 95/99 and interested in your news re Dash 8 to Kenya.Is it in an all cargo config or pax/cargo?? Of course they may only be using Kenya as a transit point before going into the Sudan.I would not have thought a Dash 8 would be any good in Sudan in the rainy season, with very short,slippery mud runways!!

Why I mention Sudan is, that during my time in Loki, there was a Canadian company operating a Beech 1900 from Hegleg in the oil fields of southern Sudan up to Khartoum.

Would be interested to hear more on the dash8.

Best rgds Howard Meredith

dicksynormous
3rd Jul 2003, 19:48
Hi howard,
been a while since i "dropped" in on you at loki.
most of the late nineties buff types now over here on various boeings.

hows mading, is it long enough. or is akuem wet .

nothing better than a quick majaculate in the morning, fnarr, fnaar.

regards.

Komba
4th Jul 2003, 19:30
Hello Howard!

Long time since Loki days.

Was having a 'quiet drink' with some of the old school and trying to remeber when I last saw you, not since the Addis Hilton in '99!

Hope you are well, where are you? Drop me a line.

"Bravo 4."

Rat Catcher
4th Jul 2003, 22:38
dicksy, that sounds like op.. :D :D
Howard, long time no see, hope you are well. I heard the D8 was to do Rumbek twice a day:hmm: :hmm:
Drop a line when you have time:ok:
Hi there Komba
AKA "Forklift 10 in those days":E

tabdy
8th Jul 2003, 01:02
Hi Howard and others from Loki

It all seems a long time ago as I sit here in York flying helicopters now. At least they don't get stuck in the mud as easily as Sierra 18 did! Fun as it was I am quite content with my Triumph Sprint ST to get me home to Glos every week-end. Anyone passing - give me a call.

Tommy

ColeFace
8th Jul 2003, 11:52
The Dash-8 apparently arrived Nairobi Tues and my bud says he likes the beer but no news on the ops side.
I'll quizz him when he gets a handle on what's going on (if that's possible in Africa) and might get some news.

I told him to post here but havn't heard ang good old Canadian East Coast banter yet.

Komba
8th Jul 2003, 14:03
Had a look for the D8 on the ramp, couldn't see it anywhere. You see it Rat Catcher?
Who is it for?

Rat Catcher
8th Jul 2003, 19:18
Hi Komba, saw a G4 but no D8! I believe it's for the company that operated B4 in your day:cool:

dicksynormous
9th Jul 2003, 05:25
if its for the b4 company then the flyaway kit should contain lots of string ,wire, glue and halfords headlights and sparkplugs not to mention a couple of river road retreads.:8

Komba
9th Jul 2003, 15:03
'Nuff said...:hmm:

ColeFace
9th Jul 2003, 20:48
Just re read his last message and he said he is in Kenya but didn't say in Nairiob. Guess I jumped to that conclusion. Must be why you can't see the Dash-8 on the ramp.

Perhaps he is pulling my pisser and is really at the Port O Call.

ColeFace
10th Jul 2003, 07:41
The Dash-8 according to e-mail today is in Nairobi, you guys sure you're looking onto the ramp and not out into the bar parking lot.

Can be cargo or pax. Canadian crew,otherwise he never had much else to say.
a quiet lot those Canucks.

Buffalo_Bill
10th Jul 2003, 12:30
If the Dash 8 is for the "operator" ( and I use that word loosely) of the current Buffalos in Loki then I sincerely hope those boys received their wages before they left Canada!
They should also think about bringing their own tent to Loki as I doubt the camp where the Buff pilots stay is too keen on giving away any more free accomodation.
Maybe the owner of "Rodent" should come out to Loki and do his own dirty work - leave the Ferrari and mansion in Montreal.
He would then have to pay himself as a pilot which could feel strange for him as he is not used to sending a cheque in the direction of Africa.

dicksynormous
10th Jul 2003, 19:09
Ah buffalo bill your types give you away.
how is kate camp.cleaned the pool yet?
think i know your alter ego.
cheers

regards
skypoo

Rat Catcher
11th Jul 2003, 13:52
Spotted yesterday! := :=
One white Dash-8 outside the KQ hangar, guess that's it?
Opio, how goes it?::E

dicksynormous
12th Jul 2003, 00:58
Who is opio?
Do i know him?
isnt he the guy that used to be the real chief pilot at akal:cool:
Didnt he design the current checklist format and the otter quickie?
What a guy, must be missed.:8

smallfry
13th Jul 2003, 05:14
Just my ten bob. Cant say that I remember Opio in those glowing terms... ha ha, think you might be confusing him with 'chip'?? Ba Humbug!
Still, at least he is the real thing and not a Captain in Waiting....:D :ok:

dicksynormous
13th Jul 2003, 07:21
How dare you liken me to scrooge. victor meldrew is my latest incarnation.

i know who you are small fry.
or is it skoda man.

Komba
14th Jul 2003, 14:50
Fester! Bundles! Ha, you dropping in on us towards the end of the year?

Rat Catcher, saw it next to KQ too.
Seen our new baby outside the office?
:cool: :ok: