PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Fleet

BAe 146-100
2nd Jul 2003, 23:47
Hi,

Have Nationwide got any plans to replace their ageing 727's and 737's with newer aircraft in the near future?

BAe 146-100 :)

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/6/7/8/287876.jpg

Cave Troll
3rd Jul 2003, 20:12
I know that they have just[about 2 months ago] taken on a few guys for the 727. They have also just replaced thier Bac 1-11 with the 737's. Whether they are going to replace those 737's so soon , well your guess is as good as mine. The fact is the are still hiring for both types.

For those that are interested in applying you need about
$20 000 to pay for your rating.

non sched
15th Jul 2003, 20:53
Is Nationwide buying or leasing the 767? Found this info on another website.

Nationwide (Jul04, 2003)
Is getting closer to launching intercontinental service. Plans are to inaugurate flights to London Gatwick in Nov03. Nationwide would operate 3 flights a week with a Boeing 767. Nationwide has licences and air traffic rights to fly twice a week between the UK and Johannesburg and once a week between the UK and Cape Town.

George Tower
15th Jul 2003, 22:01
Not heard or read anything regarding a 767 and Nationwide. The plan you describe sounds a damn sight more realistic than a certain service another operaor has been reported to be providing:hmm:

There's nothing on the Nationwide website yet anyway. BTW would a 767 have the range for a direct route. I know Brittania flew charters to FACT a few years back but they did stop in Mombassa.

16th Jul 2003, 00:21
I first heard about the B767 for Nationwide on www.justplanes.com
As far as range goes, Sobleair from Belgium flew direct and so did LTU when they still had B767s. Air Zimbabwe also flies Harare to Europe direct and so does LAM from Mozambique. Even Air Namibia when they leased that B767 from Asia somewhere.

George Tower
18th Jul 2003, 16:21
From the Nationwide website:

July 16, 2003

TNW

Nationwide to London in November
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationwide Airlines will start flying between South Africa and London's Gatwick Airport in November this year, said Chris Hoare, Commercial Executive for the carrier.

This is despite the airline gaining a prime-time slot at Heathrow, during the recent bilaterals between the SA and UK governments.

Instead of taking up the Heathrow slot, Nationwide intends, as a leisure airline, to use the three Gatwick slots it has secured to fly twice a week between Johannesburg and London, and once a week between Cape Town and London.

According to Chris, the airline's offering will be improved by providing connections for flights from Gatwick to the US, including those of Continental Airlines and Virgin Atlantic Airways.

Chris says the three flights will help alleviate any seasonal shortages of seats over the peak summer holiday period.

non sched
18th Jul 2003, 18:38
This has to be a wet lease since acquiring one 767 for three flights a week makes no sense. However, if the runs turn out to be profitable and the frequencies increase you would expect them to acquire a long range plane at some point, whether Boeing or Airbus.

BAe 146-100
19th Jul 2003, 05:19
Hi,

Would the 767 be a 200ER or a 300ER.

BAe 146-100 :)

non sched
19th Jul 2003, 20:17
Nationwide announced last year they were acquiring 2 747-300 combi's for this service but, obviously, they never got them. That was probably due to economic conditions for all airlines last year but does indicate their interest in acquiring a new aircraft type for long range service. It's just a matter of time till they get something of their own.

Well, now I have to correct my own post. The 747's weren't combi's. Also, the 767 will be provided by SobelAir so what we're talking about is a codeshare I guess. See the article below.:O

Nationwide Airlines to Europe

South Africa's Business Day reports that South Africa's Nationwide Airliness' is expected to launch new service to Europe by the end of the year.

According to the report, the carrier has been approved to operate the frequencies it requested from Johannesburg to London, Cape Town to London, Johannesburg to Munich and Johannesburg to Brussels.

The Johannesburg to Brussels leg will be operated by Belgian airline Sobelair, for which Nationwide acts as general sales agent and codeshare feeder in South Africa.

The airline also will reportedly commence new routes to Zambia on April 17 in conjunction with its franchise partner, Nationwide Airlines Zambia, owned and controlled by Zambian businessmen.

Nationwide began serving five new destinations last year, including East London and Port Elizabeth in Eastern Cape; Sun City, North West Province; Kruger-Nelspruit, Mpumalanga and Lusaka, Zambia.

Whenwe
20th Jul 2003, 17:17
Employment opportunities for B767 pilots and gound engineers being advertised in today's Sunday Times.
Guess that is Nationwide :D
ww

REAL ORCA
21st Jul 2003, 00:30
Suppose they are going to have to change their name WORLDWIDE now.

Hope it all work out for them!