PDA

View Full Version : Buying ticket at the airport

Ozzy
2nd Jul 2003, 23:10
Don't know if this has been covered before, apologies if it has.

Searching for fares on line for a transatlantic flight from BOS to CDG on various carriers shows the typically high prices for the peak season - departing and returning in July. I am thinking of using BA thru LHR.

So my question is, what kind of fare is available at the airport on the evening of travel. I'm flexible so can travel within a wide window of days. If I turn up and seats are available, what kind of pricing would I see? Given that this is last minute and if not sold to me a seat will be empty, it is better I assume for BA to sell the seat. Premium economy is an option.

Anybody with experience doing this? Any comments from check in/ airport ticket sales staff?

Ozzy

Memetic
3rd Jul 2003, 00:09
I can only base this on 2 instances of buying a ticket on the day, one cheap one V. expensive.

Cheap - Late last year BA Gatwick to Rome bought on the day of departure via lastminute.com - approx £80 return - about £15 cheaper than the advertised "WOFFER" that was on at the time.

Expensive - About 2 years ago (Lot has changed since !) BA Gatwick to Newcatle-upon-tyne approx £350 return bought by phone direct from BA central res as I drove to the airport.

My advice, if you are flexible on dates try a web based consolidator - at least you will know what you will be paying.

I think tha priceline.com lets yopu specify the price you are prepared to pay and if it can achive it books it. Anyone tried it? I always got my ridicloulsy low bids rejected *grin*

PAXboy
3rd Jul 2003, 00:24
'Bealine' should be doing a Touch-and-Go soon and he'll let us know!

I have found that short notice is expensive. The reason being, that the airline know that they must not get a reputation of giving big discounts at the airport. If you knew that BA always dropped the price as the flight was closing - would you buy two days/weeks/months earlier?

All carrier's pricing systems build in the empty seats and they budget for what they can allow. They have significant history files of each route and the traffic spread across each hour of the day, each day of the week and week of the year. They know that you will blink before they do because they will carry the seat empty, rather than give it away! Any give aways are part of specific promotions or through consolidators.

A consolidator often buys a block of seats (many permutations of flights and time period) and must pay BA (or whoever) for them - irrespective of whether they sell them or not. If this is the case - it is in THEIR interest to sell you the ticket for something, rather than not sell it.

By being flexible, you can choose from LHR/LGW and a number of carriers and days but I doubt that the airport ticket desk is where you will find the best prices. From LHR alone there are three carriers and AA have the geater seat pitch in Y. From LGW only on VS. those are for the directs. If you want to save money, then consider the numerous indirects.