PDA

View Full Version : 02JUN03 Flybe 228 JER-SOU returned To Jersey

Atlantic75
2nd Jul 2003, 15:47
Hi all

The above flight departed on time then returned to Jersey about 15 mins later. The service is now showing as delayed.

The Aircraft operating the service is a Q400.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

A75

VectorLine
2nd Jul 2003, 18:06
Maybe weather?

Cb activity?

flowman
2nd Jul 2003, 18:52
Perhaps he forgot his wallet:)

MaxProp
3rd Jul 2003, 04:26
the wx radar was u/s

Michael111
3rd Jul 2003, 06:03
Good evening

I have just picked up on this and am interested as I am using this service tomorrow (3/7/03)

Would this not have been picked up before departure or did it become non operational in the early part of the flight?

I have experienced bad weather as a PAX in the past and I am all for early anticipation and avoidence of bad weather. How sensitive are these systems? - on a 90 mile hop from JER - SOU is the local met info provided before departure not able to provide all necissary WX data?

Thanks in advance

Michael

wing_nut1
8th Jul 2003, 03:03
Its either
1.Weather (which is a big problem near the channel islands with thunderstorms etc)
2. Tech problem which is also fairly commen on the Q400's, but i would bet on weather as we are always getting delayed flights from JSY becasue of weather

PAXboy
8th Jul 2003, 05:37
Michael111. Another thought (from a pax perspective) is that the a/c may have been scheduled to run other services onward from SOU on a longer sector. Returning to SOU and back to base later in the day. They might not have wanted to be without the wx rader (if that is what it was) for that long. As I say, just a guess.

Final 3 Greens
8th Jul 2003, 16:27
Michael 111, Atlantic 75

I'm not an airline pilot, but I do fly light aircraft and have experience of flying some equipped with weather radar, so hope this might help you to understand what 'might' have caused the flight to make an airborne return.

I don't know the minimum equipment list for this type of aircraft and airline, but it would not surprise me if the weather (Wx) radar failed as another poster said and it mandated a return to the point of departure.

Alternatively, the captain may have decided that he did not feel able to fly in the weather conditions prevailing without the radar - airline captains are generally very good at making sensible decisions balancing safety and getting us pax to the destination on time.

If there were thunderstorms about, flying in clouds without Wx radar is 'bold' behaviour and we all know that 'there are old pilots and bold pilots, but few old and bold....'

To try to answer the question to why the met forecast cannot be used to avoid weather en route....

1) The weather moves all the time :-)

2) A forecast is not actuality, so you can't be sure - think of your own experiences when the forecast doesn't quite give the expected results!

3) When you are flying in one type of cloud, you cannot see another type. This is particularly concerning if you are flying in a layer of cloud (without severe icing, turbulence or lightning), but are concerned that dangerous clouds (thunderstorms) may be in the area and could be mixed in with the harmless clouds - pilots call this 'embedded CBs.'

So you need the weather radar to show you where the heavy precipitation (rain, snow, hail etc) is, so that you can steer around it and avoid the associated dangers that come with some types of clouds, even though your are 'flying blind.'