PDA

View Full Version : Go Again, I didn't Copy That..........

Belgique
1st Jul 2003, 21:59
In my line of work, when on a computer I do a lot of CTRL C and CTRL V (in other words "copy and paste"). For the last two weeks I've been afflicted on my desktop [PIV/2K] by an inability of the first CTRL C to copy the highlit text (as evidenced by the CTRL V producing nothing - nil text pasted). A repeat CTRL C/CTRL V always produces the goods however. CTRL X (cut) always works at the same time.

A change of keyboards achieves nix and the problem doesn't occur on my Compaq Armada E500 Notebook. It's like taking up stuttering and stammering. Such a small and possibly insignificant glitch - but one that I find to be increasingly irritating. My desktop has no other such glitches (and it happens using either L or R CTRL key). Absolutely baffled why it should work on the second go each time. That tends to rule out any key intermittency. It has to be software.

Anyone come across this? Is it the result of a scratchy-patchy MS patch. Too late to do a System Restore - as it first manifested itself quite a while ago.

fobotcso
1st Jul 2003, 22:09
If you're on Windows 2000, System Restore isn't an option open to you anyway.

What service Pack are you up to? MS has just release SP4 for Win2K. So that ought to be amonst the first things you try.

But otherwise... Clearly the Clipboard is working or you couldn't make Ctrl/C work at all. Do you have a Clipboard Viewer? MS have a download you can get to allow you to see what's on the clipboard.

At least then you would be able to see whether it's the first Ctrl/C that didn't work or the first Ctrl/V. At the moment there is no way of being sure.

Dagger Dirk
1st Jul 2003, 22:16
Unctuous
Yes seen this one in Win XP Pro. Only seems to happen in Internet Explorer (pasting into Word or FrontPage from it). Also only happening on some machines and not others.

Fobotsco

Where do you get this magic clipboard viewer?

ORAC
1st Jul 2003, 22:43
Loads of them. See here (http://www.vsisystems.com/clipboard.htm) or here (http://www.bykeyword.com/pages/detail0/download-687.html) for a couple of examples.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Jul 2003, 23:07
Belgique,

It's like taking up stuttering and stammering.

This could be either your harddrive is full and it cannot disk cache anymore or it could be one of the symtoms of a virus. Lets run an online scan of the comp just in case:

Trend Micro's Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com)

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Background Noise
2nd Jul 2003, 01:18
Isn't clipboard viewer part of windows - it's in XP as clipbrd.exe in the system32 folder. Strangely although it is selected as an install option I didn't have a shortcut to it in any of my program menus - but it's easy enough to add it and a shortcut is in my accessories menu.

BRL
2nd Jul 2003, 01:19
Can you right click your mouse and do it ok?????????

fobotcso
2nd Jul 2003, 03:23
Yes Clipboard Viewer is part of Windows but is not installed by default in 95, 98 and ME.

Microsoft Instructions (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q141/3/10.asp&NoWebContent=1)

er, who's unctuous?

Dagger Dirk
2nd Jul 2003, 17:48
Unctuous removed his posting. He had the same problem.

I can right-click and copy from IE and paste into NotePad. I tried my desktop for viruses and found nothing. Plenty of Hard Disk Space also.

Quite perplexing

Ausatco
2nd Jul 2003, 21:08
Have you assigned, or has an installed app assigned the CTRL-C shortcut to something else?

AA

UNCTUOUS
2nd Jul 2003, 21:22
If nothing else ever happens when you go CTRL C, how would you ever know whether another program (running, loaded or backgrounded) had taken over that function (whichg would be miserable programming)?

Is there a utility that will tell you your keyboard shortcut assignments?

UNC

But I might use task manager to close down all else and see if it makes a difference. If it does I will report back.

Belgique
4th Jul 2003, 22:15
Just for the heck of it I fitted an MS Office Keyboard initially without (and then with) software - and the silvered copy and paste buttons on the left don't work either.

First stab of CTRL C (or Copy) isn't loading to the clipboard. Second or subsequent ones will.

I'm a thinking that it's an MS glitch for sure.

Doesn't work with COPY & PASTE Buttons on an MS Office Keyboard

Just for the heck of it I fitted an MS Office Keyboard initially without (and then with) software - and the silvered copy and paste buttons on the left don't work either.

First stab of CTRL C (or Copy) isn't loading to the clipboard. Second or subsequent ones will (i.e. if you go CTRL C followed by CTRL C). But strangely enough CTRL X works each (first) time every time

I'm a thinking that it's an MS glitch for sure.

Belgique
24th Aug 2003, 00:31
The problem disappeared (along with a few others) after a recent MS Win XP patch upgrade debug fix.

More or less as I expected.
It probably is worthwhile doing the error reporting "send" every time that your OS hiccups. Doubt that Microsloth would do anything about anything, if few enough people were going to that trouble.

OVERTALK
9th Sep 2004, 14:24
I've now run into this self-same problem.

It takes 2 or 3 CTRL C attempts (or right-click "copy") of highlit text on an Internet Explorer page in order to be able to CTRL V paste. It's only happening on a Dell Inspiron 8000 with all Win XP Pro updates except SP2.

Anybody run into this problem?

More importantly anybody know the answer?

OT