PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Com port in Win 2K - help please

RFCC
1st Jul 2003, 05:08
I would be grateful if anyone could anyone could help me to add a Com port (and make it work!) in Windows 2000 Pro.

The background....

The PC was initially supplied with Win 2K Pro already installed, with the modem on Com3. Recently I have had to reinstall the operating system but cannot get Com3 and hence the modem, to work.

I have added the port using Device Manager and in the Properties tab for Com3 I have attempted to configure it manually using the fixed settings, ensuring no conflicts in the device list. Whichever setting I use gives me a yellow exclamation mark in the device list, with the message - This device cannot start (Code 10).

What am I doing wrong?

fobotcso
1st Jul 2003, 06:03
Bit of a minefield, this, as Win2K doesn't suport the old physical serial ports directly. Notwithstanding, an elementary first step is to make sure that the BIOS is set up correctly.

You don't say what type of interface it is you're trying to connect to Com3. Is it a USB modem? if so it is likely that the installation disk included a routine for installing a USB hub.

So for starters I'd go back to the modem installation disk and see what is there.

But it's late now. Maybe more tomorrow if needed.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Jul 2003, 07:40
RFCC,

A few more details about the modem and the Motherboard would be helpful too.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

RFCC
2nd Jul 2003, 04:23
Fixed it!

Your questions led me to read the installation procedure for the modem more closely. The phrase "select an empty PCI slot" rang a bell. In the list of hardware devices I had noticed that there was a PCI Controller without a driver. I installed the modem driver to this, it immediately detected the modem and installed it on Com 4. Oddly enough Com 4 doesn't appear on the list of ports, however the modem properties detail it as being installed on Com 4.

Thanks fobotsco and Naples Air Center, Inc. for your help. :ok: