PDA

View Full Version : Manners - it goes both ways

wilco83
1st Jul 2003, 00:49
Last night I travelled to my current location by air, and without doubt was on the end of the worst service it has been my misfortune to suffer. It was only one crew member I hasten to add, all the others where fine.

I won't say what flight or what airline as on reflection I am not going to complain to the airline in question although last night I came very close.

I travelled in economy and was very fortunate to have a whole row to myself, fantastic thought I, nice way to travel. Everything was fine, sandwich came a long and I asked for two botles of wine (Please and Thank You used). I then asked for a third from another crew member and this was delivered without question (Please and Thank You on both sides again). Having the temerity to ask for a fourth however brought the individual along, again, "Please may I have another bottle of wine?" "I think you have had enough," was the reply. I did say, "you are joking!" but that was it she was off. I was quite offended and in the heat of the moment was tempted to march down to the CSD and ask for an explanation but decided that no that is not right and besides it was only a drink not the end of the world.

Shortly the Captain announces ten minutes to landing and the lady in question marches down the cabin as someone usually does to clear for landing. I offer up my empty glass and bottle but am ignored, and again on the return, eventually another member of the crew collected it with no problems.

Now I am not complaining here about the refusal to serve drink, it is the CC decision and although I don't agree it is not for me to cause a fuss. I also am fully aware that you are there primarily to look after the safety of passengers on the flight and not to rush up and down serving people drinks.

I am complaining about being ignored twice after having been spoken to in a fairly high handed and rude manner. I got on the plane and said good evening and I got off and said thank you have a good night, I always try and be polite it is not that hard.

We all have hard days and the like but when you are in a service industry you have to bear in mind that I don't have to fly with you, I can fly with anyone I choose and complaining about low cost is not right, if I pay for a low cost flight I get no freebies and minimal service - but I know that and accept it - last night I was not paying low cost even for an economy seat (because the low costs haven't got there and forced the majors to stop overcharging?) and received low cost service.

Having said all that, almost always when I fly I get great service and enjoy the experience, I will put last night down as a one off and say no more. :O

homesick rae
1st Jul 2003, 04:18
doesn't it P...S you off when this happens.

i had similar service on the "world's favourite?"

they ran out of red wine and i was informed " i'll just check for you "and off he toddled...but never came back to me for 45 mins!

he did apologise but again reiterated the fact, quite harshly...in other words "don't bother me again" that there was no red wine!

i must add that i had the B....r in me and asked "Any white?" To which the reply was " Plenty!" When he actually turned around to face the question and saw me...it was quite funny..."i'll have 2 then" said i and went back to my seat.

if roles were reversed i would have been down to business or first and brought a nice glass, but then again i don't work for the airline i travelled on.

most of the time...no worries and very friendly and helpful, so yeah maybe a one off here too but hey...we are not always on ID 90s!!

Hypoxic Harry
1st Jul 2003, 10:37
Wilco,

Sounds like you had a bit of an ordeal on the flight. And it was very nice to read that you remained polite throughout the entire experiance. Rudeness should not be tollarated, anywhere, especially in an industry that is so "customer service" driven.

I know with the airline that I work for in Australia, we are legally not allowed to continue serving passengers if we feel like they may be over the limit or approaching it. Its called responsible service of alchoel. If we are caught serving a drink to a passenger, that may be intoxicated or close to it, we are personally fined. Its the same in bars,clubs and pubs in Australia.

I am sure you didnt feel intoxicated at all, but you have to remember that in the air, it "hits" you alot faster than on the ground. I was told that one drink in the sky, equals 2 and a half on the ground. And through my own experiance, I have been quiet tipsy after only 2 drinks whilst flying ( off duty of course) but on the ground I can easily drink 5 or 6 drinks and still feel quiet sobar.

I know with myself, its not a case of not wanting to walk up and down the isles and give passengers drinks. I love giving great service, and nothing is ever too much hassell. But as long as its legall and by the books.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers

SinSling
1st Jul 2003, 11:59
wilco83

I hear ya! After recently boarding a flt as a passenger, (I might add a full fare paying passenger) I was stowing my hand baggage and about to take my seat, when the FA asked with disbelief in her voice..."Are YOU in 1C?"

I simply cannot tell you how embarassing the situation was, not to mention how thoroughly rude I found her.

Above and beyond that however is the fact that as you so rightly state, I can fly another airline. Not a problem to me at all.

As Cabin Crew we are the face of our company. Along with RSA, Safety and Security duties, we also have the responsibility of marketing and promotion of our company, to ensure its ongoing customer base. If we stop being the person we were when we started flying, if we lose sight of the fact MOST of us joined because we love to look after people, then we run the risk of losing our jobs. After all, often the reason people chose an airline to fly with, wherever possible, is because they love the service, or the Crew on their last flight were delightful, etc. therefore they come back.

Perhaps in your instance, with only 10mins to landing it was a different issue for her..... but surely this could have been handled in a much more professional and courteous manner.

After all, your fare helped pay her wages!

I praise you for maintaing your disposition and hope next time you fly, it leaves with a restored faith in us all.

Cheers

Desertia
1st Jul 2003, 16:55
For info it's roughly 7 hours from Bangkok to Bahrain:

From today's Gulf Daily News:

"A Briton who died after collapsing at Bahrain International Airport had earlier been so drunk he had to be wheelchaired off an incoming flight, it was revealed yesterday.

Steven Lee Ball, aged 28, arrived aboard a Gulf Air flight from Bangkok on Saturday night, an airline spokeswoman confirmed yesterday.

"He was supposed to take the connecting flight GF007 at 1am on Sunday morning, but was unable to take the flight since he was fully drunk and was unable to stand," she said.

He was wheelchaired off the incoming flight and was made comfortable in the departures lounge, with the hope he would be capable of catching another London flight the next day.

But he reportedly continued to drink throughout the night and day and collapsed after airline staff took him for a meal, at around 9pm on Sunday night.

Mr Ball died in the BDF Hospital and his body was yesterday still in Salmaniya mortuary.

A British Embassy spokesman said Mr Ball was returning to his native England after years in Thailand.

"We are trying our best to get the medical reports and other papers to send his body back. We are also trying to get in touch with his family," said the spokesman."

A300Man
1st Jul 2003, 18:42
Wilco - the "10 minutes to landing" and "CSD" terminology suggest that you were flying on BA. Then, I am not surprised as their on board service is so inconsistent between flights.

Note Homesick's comments ref non availability of bevgs! I had a recent similar experience on BA across the pond - call bells were re-set and no-one attended.

Try flying with the airline that Homescik and his wife used to work for - then you'll see true customer service.

twobigtesticles
1st Jul 2003, 19:28
Well speaking of inconsistent service, you should see the difference between the Qantas Cabin Crew Service across the country from the international crew. As a frequent business traveller, I use QF from Sydney, Melbourne and Perth to fly to Singapore and beyond. The service from the Sydney and Melbourne bases is quite regularly appalling, whereas the Perth cabin crew seem to be on 95% of occassions 500% better than the Sydney and Melbourne Crew. What often appears to be a chore to the Sydney/Melb crew never seems to be much touble to the Perth Crew - and I would generally class myself as being very polite - being very wary of upsetting often easily traumatised cabin crew. The sydney and melbourne crew usually chuck the meals at you, scurry off and hide for the remainder of the flight - rarely coming out to top up water.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, and unfortunately very infrequently is there an excellent Sydney or Melbourne Crew.

I understand that the Perth Base is quite new, so it is good to see that the younger fresher crew are doing a great job.

Tarantella
1st Jul 2003, 20:07
2BT,
I'm very sorry that you have had such inconsistent service on your flights with us.
I'm happy to hear that the PER Crews are such a positive force. We are very proud of their enthusiasm.
You mention that you fly to SIN and beyond from SYD MEL and PER: under those circumstances, you will not have encountered a MEL based crew, as the flights from MEL to SIN and beyond are crewed by SYD base.
The MEL based crews are also enthusiastic and hardworking: I hope you have an opportunity to experience their excellent service too.
Having flown out of all three bases, I know that there are excellent, happy and helpful f/as in all the bases, so I hope that your flights in the future are crewed by these wonderful staff and that the 'bad eggs' you speak of are weeded out. It does take time, but it is our ultimate aim.
Happy flying

Heathrow09L
1st Jul 2003, 22:40
If it is BA you are talking about, then I work for them myself, and on behalf of the company would like to apologise. At the end of the day you are paying and where very polite, the least WE can do is offer you the same treatment.

I have worked with people who are "off hand" with their colleagues aswell, it is a shame that people are like that. Sometimes when we travel as staff with our company, we often get the cold shoulder treatment.

Please don't give up on us, just because some people cannot do the job.

skyboy1919
2nd Jul 2003, 00:42
I have been Cabin Crew for some time now, and still enjoy my job, and the service I can offer passengers, or customers should I say, as a senior crew member I cannot stand bad manors from Cabin Crew of any rank, it is not needed, the job can be demanding, with long hours, and sometimes stressful situation, THATS WHAT WE ARE PAID TO DEAL WITH, cannot do it, please leave and give those that are willing to do the job correctly a chance.

Not saying we should be spoken to badly, or take abuse, but my god, some people over react so quickly, and where they get the attitude from is amazing!

There are some really hard working dedicated people out their, and there are those that hate the job, but just do not leave.

Its a shame, and I think every airline is the same, its amazing what a difference one member of crew can make!