PDA

View Full Version : "Runtime error" - back with a vengence!!

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2003, 00:11
"Runtime errors" keeps popping up on almost anything. Why suddenly after all these years. Did I pick it up someplace? Has it 'entered' my study without permission? :eek:

Anyone know what to do to get rid of this menace?

fobotcso
1st Jul 2003, 00:48
Some-one as old and wrinkled as you must know a few smarts, PP, so what is your Version of Windows? What was the last thing you did before it arrived? Did you upgrade somthing like a driver or a program? Add a new Prog? Can you undo what you did? Something has got corrupted - probably because a Windows DLL has been over-written by a third party DLL and it's incompatible with the rest of Windows

If you're on Windows ME (you wouldn't, would you?) or XP you can use the Restore function. It really is good.

And in XP if a driver update doesn't work you can use the "roll-back" function to revert to the previous version of the driver.

Only things I can think of without knowing more detail. Tell us some more juicy bits.

Bad Luck!:( fob

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2003, 03:10
Old and wrinkled fobs! Old and wrinkled! Me???? Well alright, certain bits are - fortunately the brain has only the normal wrinkles ;)

Well now, this is interesting. It has only happened since I installed Logitech Cam 310. In fact it is a very difficult. It crashes about every 10th pic it takes when in PC mode. Shooda thought of that I guess. Ok I'll uninstall it and see what happens.

Now I'll go and get the iron warm - since you have belittled my features!

Thanks fobs! :{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Jul 2003, 07:27
PPRuNe Pop,

It could also be hardware related. If your USB Bus is sharing an IRQ with another resource, by adding the webcam you could have caused a conflict.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. There is also the possibility that a component on your comp has died too. Lets just hope it is either software related or an IRQ Conflict for now.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2003, 15:16
Fobs I reckon you were spot on. I removed it and, seemingly, the problem as well - so far:suspect:

Richard.

Yep, got that. That may also have been a factor. I connected it to a hub but I suspect it might like USB 2.0. I will wait to see if that works after I get my upgraded puter under way.

Thanks guys.

fobotcso
1st Jul 2003, 16:53
Pops, that's good. :D

I've had one or two incidents like this with hastily marketed hardware whose drivers break an otherwise stable Windows set-up. If your Version of Windows (like NT4, 2000 or XP) is one that uses Service Packs, it can help to restore health if you install/re-install the latest Service Pack.

I've got so used to the problem that when installing new hardware I now go straight to the manufacturer's Support Site to see if there are any recent drivers. The latest success doing this was with D-Link Wireless cards. Might be worth trying with Logitech.

Don't bother with the iron; doesn't work. :ugh:

Lurk R
2nd Jul 2003, 22:01
Whilst not directly related in this instance, I find the following website handy information:

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/erriexpl.htm

Ausatco
2nd Jul 2003, 22:07
fobs saidI've got so used to the problem that when installing new hardware I now go straight to the manufacturer's Support Site to see if there are any recent drivers. The latest success doing this was with D-Link Wireless cards.

Uh oh, does this bode ill for me in my new wireless venture, fobs? :confused:

AA

fobotcso
2nd Jul 2003, 22:39
Doesn't exactly bode ill, AA, but I should have mentioned it before. I bought the D-Link 520+ and 650+ at the same time but opened the 650+ first. The CD for the 650+ was Version 2.20 and I went ahead and installed it. It didn't work so I downloaded Version 3.05 fom:

D-Link ftp Site - Wireless (ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/pub/wireless/dwl-650+/)

It worked fine with the Router (604+).

Then I opened the 520+ box and found that it already included the updated Version 3.03! :*

These two items include the same CD but downloading the update is no hardship at 2.2MB.