PDA

View Full Version : AMM 757 Damage?

Ms Spurtle
1st Jul 2003, 00:04
One of AMMs new 757s (Bravo Delta) has been removed from service due to "fuselage damage"

Anyone any details?

Call Established
1st Jul 2003, 03:21
I hear Groundstar put a belt loader through the skin at hold 4 in BHX this morn. It was only a month ago they hit G-OOBE with only 50 hours on the clock which needed a new engine cowling.

Unlucky!

jmc757
1st Jul 2003, 06:21
Ouch!! Bet Groundstar BHX are flavour of the month at air2000, damaging two of the new 757s!!! I'm flying BHX-TFS with AMM this friday, nice to know BHX has been getting a few of the new 757s, really want to get a chance to try that new interior!! Knowing my luck Groundstar will do the same and delay my flight!!

Anyone know what air2000 are using to fill in these, and any other big problems?? They got a spare 757 on stand-by or are they subbing??

Easy226
1st Jul 2003, 06:37
My grandparents were on this flight on the way back from Funchal, Madeira (AMM 776 D). The flight was delayed 5 hours and landed about an hour ago (22.20). Captain told the passengers that the 757 had been brought in from Gatwick.
Many Thanks
Dan

GK430
1st Jul 2003, 17:17
G-OK & G-EV op @ EGBB today.
Always used to have the oldest G-OOOB there in the past, so its nice to see the new ones - if only there "underwing service provider" wouldn't keep breaking them:{

Ms Spurtle
1st Jul 2003, 19:14
not a good week by all accounts at AMM Engineering.

One of the 767s went tits-up at the weekend and (because they haven't a spare now) had to be replaced by 2 x 757s.

johnwalton
4th Jul 2003, 05:33
You'd think groundstar make a habit of these sort of things. I remember in 2000, i was flying JMC from NCL to ACE, and the groundstar staff reversed the 757 into a 30-foot high crash barrier as they were manoeuvring it from a remote stand to the gate. It was strange to watch. Apparantly the employee who was driving the tug wasn't actually qualified, and swiftly lost his job. JMC had to draft in a replacement from Gatwick that day too. Luckily we 'only' had a 2-and-a-half hour wait.

I read later that over £1 million damage had been done to the rear fuselage. I wonder if groundstar foot the bill for the repairs? Quite costly.

HiSpeedTape
4th Jul 2003, 06:52
JohnWalton

Don't be an arse :mad: . You obviously have no inkling of the facts. The tug driver was qualified and had worked for Groundstar for many years. He was sacked along with the wing man despite a plea from JMC for him not to be. The damage was considerable but was easily sorted and amounted to replacing an elevator and the APU tail cone. I would be astonished if It would have amounted to a million quid.

HST
:*

JAFCon
5th Jul 2003, 06:21
:confused: :confused: :confused: Please for those of us that don't know who is AMM:confused: :confused: :confused:

Golf Charlie Charlie
5th Jul 2003, 06:42
As I see that the software demands I use more than 15 characters, I am going to say it's Air 2000. I had just said "Air 2000", and it rejected me.

johnwalton
6th Jul 2003, 05:18
HiSpeedTape

I beg to differ, but I was on the flight, spoke with representatives on the scene, and read an article in the local newspaper on my return to the UK. Perhaps the views expressed by the newspaper or the representatives were flawed, even so, they are/were legitimate sources.

I would be astonished if It would have amounted to a million quid.
At the time, that was the figure quoted in the local newspaper.

The tug driver was qualified and had worked for Groundstar for many years.
I was on the flight, and was informed by a JMC representative at the airport that the man had immediately lost his job. It was the representative from JMC, who was in contact with Groundstar, the Airport company, and JMC headquarters, who told the passengers that the man driving the tug "may have been unqualified" for the role.

HiSpeedTape
6th Jul 2003, 08:07
JohnWalton

Please wind your neck in until you know what you are talking about. Surely you don't believe everything you read in the press?
I was directly involved in the incident so am qualified to let you know that what you think you were told and what you have read is bull:mad:

So you only had to suffer a 2 hour delay thanks to the sterling efforts of all of us at JMC / Thomas Cook and our service partners. Spare a thought for the 2 guys who inconvenienced you... they lost their Livelihoods!

Go back to plane spotting on the roof or outside the fence or wherever you do it from.

LOL

HST:*

Chef
6th Jul 2003, 09:45
HST

i would agree johnwalton is an ar:mad: , if the chap really believes a company makes a habbit of customising aircraft on purpose he needs to get a life. Accidents will happen and they come in 3's normally G* today, Servisair another; it is a fact of life we all do not want to see.

Your version sounds more like what i heard, suits @ comm hse MAN were not too happy though.

Lou Scannon
6th Jul 2003, 19:17
Nearly every accident of this type is caused, not by deliberate carelessness, but people trying to achieve a quick turn around.

One only has to watch the vehicles milling round an aircraft as it comes on stand to realise that they are nearly all being driven faster than would seem prudent. We could revert to the way that the RAF do things (or did in my day) with every reversing vehicle being guided by a marshaller and chocks being used behind it to prevent it reversing too far. All very safe but hardly expeditious.

It's strange how some companies fail to complain about the techniques used to achieve a fast turn around and are then the first to fire people when it goes wrong.

whats_it_doing_now?
8th Jul 2003, 07:11
What's red and white and sleeps 2?

A Groundstar tug in NCL. ;) :D :p

For serious speed driving on the apron you have to go to Italy. Those fiery european folk drive a cherry picker like they are doing a lap at Monza!