PDA

View Full Version : Old RAF Book

tony draper
30th Jun 2003, 23:56
A while back I sent someone who posts here some old Aircraft Books, Aircraft of the Fighting Powers I think they were called, for the life of me I can't recal who I shiped them to now.
I was clearing out some more stuff and I came across What seems to be a book of bound copies of a RAF magazine from the year 1955,The cover and spine are a bit battered, but the spine bares the legend Royal Air Force Flying Revue 1955 , least I think thats what it says.
This book is full of articles about the fast pointy things of that era, and interesting adverts for long defunct British Aviation Companies, and London Taylored Suits for 32/- ect and interesting places for RAF coves to stay in London.
All this stuff will be flung into a skip along with the rest of Drapers treasure such as his lead soldiers,wooden fort and Flash Gordon Ray Gun when he pops his clogs, I would rather they went to a good home.
There are also a few other Aviation books of that era,ie Japanese Aircraft of WW11 by John Stroud, and some others I haven't got round to checking yet, if the same person wants these, drop me a email at.

[email protected]

I will post this on the Nosta;gia thread as well, I don't think that existed at the time I sent those other books off.

tony draper
1st Jul 2003, 04:42
Oh Dear!, a fine kettle of fish you have opened here Draper,a few prooners have emailed me with regard to these tomes,Gentlemen it was not my intention to sell these books, just hand them on to a good home.
The chap I sent those other books to was called Tony, I do not recal his proon name,I believe he was involved in restoring old aircraft or something similar.
If I do not hear from him I will draw lots with the prooners names who have contacted me and send the books on to the winner.
Some facinasting articles by the way , one on flying the Prone position Meteor, never heard of that one, and another looking forward to the appearence of the new English Electric Lightning at Farnbourgh.
Happy Days,
:rolleyes:

solotk
1st Jul 2003, 18:35
Twas me drapes

You very kindly sent the volumes on, and I remember praising your altruism in Jet Blast.

I'd be happy to receive any dusty old tomes, from the days of the Imperial British Airpower Club.

Drop me a PM, and let me know how much postage etc is going to cost

Best regards

Tony

*Assuming you haven't already despatched them to other Prooners that is.......

sabredog
1st Jul 2003, 20:29
Mr.Draper, please take advise before disposing of lead soldiers,cars,tanks, field pieces etc., they might just be valuable. It depends very much upon the makers name and general condition of course. As the proud owner of fourteen bound volumes of the "Royal Air Force Flying Review" from 1955 until it's demise in 1968 ( I think!) ,I am sorry to read that you are having to dispose of such a splendid publication.
Should you need any help, please send me a private msg.
Good Luck,
Sabredog

Jackonicko
1st Jul 2003, 21:49
For anyone wondering "Whatever happened to....?"

RAF Flying Review became Flying Review International, and then Air Enthusiast, and then (when the Air Enthusiast title was switched to a new quarterly) Air International.

Which is still on sale monthly in your local WH Smiths.........

Tonkenna
2nd Jul 2003, 06:55
Just out of interest Tony the Prone Meteor is still in one piece and can be seen at the museum at RAF Cosford. Many years ago got to sit in it (well lie in it), very comfy:)

Tonks

SPIT
2nd Jul 2003, 08:08
Hi
Whilst at RAF Topcliffe some (many) years ago I saw a prone meatbox in a hangar at the far side of the field. This was accompanied by many other quite rare a/c.Could this be the same one that is mentioned above ??:confused: ::confused:

tony draper
5th Jul 2003, 15:21
Sorry chaps I have been a bit busy these last few days to progress this, I have picked a name out of the hat and I will send the book on to the winning prooner.
Six people emailed me expressing a interest, I put the initials in me old hard hat and got me sis in law to pick one.
In the interest of avoiding possible interposter violence the selected prooner shall remain annonymous.