PDA

View Full Version : BA's UnPaid Leave Scheme

Polar Maritime
30th Jun 2003, 19:12
Any BA Engineers here?
Do you know whether or not BA has extended the offer of unpaid leave? I have been on un paid leave and need to extend it. However, one individual (manager at LHR) has said no, and other manager has said that it has been extended. There is BA for you, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

TURIN
1st Jul 2003, 07:05
Unpaid leave option not available to engineering staff. Neither was/is job sharing, part time working or substitutional severance. The ONLY options offered to engineers were early retirement, or "voluntary" (HA!) severance of 3x weekly pay per year with company capped at 54 weeks pay max. That offer has now been withdrawn. :mad:

esportadude
1st Jul 2003, 10:43
I believe it's available till mar 31 st 2004. ;)

Polar Maritime
1st Jul 2003, 21:04
RTFQ applies here Turin. I said that I am a BA Engineer on Unpaid leave. I was asking if any other BA engineers currently at work know the current policy on unpaid leave. ie being able to extend or not.:mad:

TURIN
3rd Jul 2003, 04:43
So the letters sent out to MAN/BHX staff demanding that they take the voluntary severance or be made COMPULSORY redundant were a figment of my imagination were they?
If you are on unpaid leave and are represented on the ENF then please get in touch with a current staff member at MAN Engineering (not BACX). There are one or two people, now on the dole who require ammunition in constructive dismissal court cases!!

mrcabbage
5th Jul 2003, 19:02
Dear all, Here is a copy of a letter i recieved from my then line manager up in the regions in April 2002. Myself and at least 3 other members of staff had enquired as to why 'Voluntary unpaid leave' under the auspices of 'BRS' was not being offered to engineering staff at MAN following the closure of our hangar. Nor was job sharing or part time work. In fact nothing bar Voluntary Severence @ 3 weeks salary per year worked capped at 54 weeks!- 'Dear (left blank!) Thank you for your letter dated ** April explaining your interest in applying for voluntary unpaid leave under the Buisness Response Scheme. I am sorry to say that i am unable to grant your request for Voluntary Unpaid Leave. Within BA Engineering at the present time we have a number of alternative job opportunities of which you have been notified and are suitable for. It is unlikely that similar alternatives will be available in the future when considering the changes to the buisness and the engineering load therefore making a suitable alternative position unlikely to be available at the end of a Voluntary Unpaid Leave period. I realise this will be a disappointment to you but i would emphasise again to you that we have opportunities in BA Engineering at Heathrow and i would encourage you you to express an interest in them. yours sincerely C*** McN*** So there you have it! Comments please on this caring company!...........

Polar Maritime
5th Jul 2003, 20:36
I don't know the position out in the regions. I am from LHR, and have been on unpaid leave for a year now and wanted to extended it (for 3 months). That is why I was writing in to see if other BA staff have been told anything different, as to what I have been informed. That is I cannot extend, but I have heard from LGW (senior manager, who is a friend) and from someone in personnel the BRS has now been extended in engineering. If that is the case, my resignation need never have gone in. So, I will be contacting certain people to follow this up. Yes you are right, what a wonderful and caring company BA really is:mad: