PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

Pilot Pete
30th Jun 2003, 17:41
Just purchased BT Broadband and as part of the package it seems to have loaded Outlook Express 6 which has an annoying habit of 'over policing' what it sent to me. It has just removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail The attachments in question being from Balpa, a trusted source as far as I am aware.

Anyone know how to turn this function off? I have Mcafee virus scan protection running so don't see the need for OE to be taking the lead. The wife is also complaining because it is doing the same with digital pictures which a friend is sending to her.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

PP

OVERTALK
30th Jun 2003, 17:57
MS Outlook does the same.

If you haven't got your Norton Antivir or McAfee set up correctly, the lack of this feature would be that you'd be virused at least hourly. Maybe manual renaming of exe to zip and similar is a good interim measure. As long as the person that you are sending to knows that it's not a real zip file......

roach
30th Jun 2003, 18:05
Is it something as simple as Tools>options>security>Virus Protection and see what is checked?
I had a similar problem with file attachments I couldn't open and I run W98,OE6.

touch&go
30th Jun 2003, 18:16
Have the same problem, so I click on forward mail and then I can open the attachment.

Pilot Pete
30th Jun 2003, 18:24
Thanks guys, especially roach, it was as simple as that. I found the option to 'not allow any attachment to be opened that might contain a virus' that was ticked and that has sorted the problem.

Thanks again.

PP

fobotcso
30th Jun 2003, 18:44
...Balpa, a trusted source as far as I am aware.

Well there's trusted and trusted. I could get very angry about their new membership policy if I really cared. :(

Pilot Pete
30th Jun 2003, 18:57
Fair point fobotcso!

They are a responsible organisation when it comes to IT but they still make mistakes........I was once sent another members details (including salary! and address etc etc.) in error. I have also had a virus sent to me by them, but I still consider them a trusted source and let Mcafee block anything untoward that they have let through.........

PP