PDA

View Full Version : The best (free) digital picture software ?

proxus
30th Jun 2003, 04:53
Hello there !

I have this kodak digital camera which I use quite a lot. The shortcomings of this camera is this software that came with it.
(Kodak easyshare v2.0)
This software is too user friendly and makes transfering f.ex. images between folders a hard job. They recently released v3.0 which I find to be even more terrible than the first. v2.1 was probably the best, however, I didn't know that when I deleted it, but now it's impossible to get it downloaded again, it isn't available unless I order it on a cd and that's expensive.

Therefore

Does anyone know of a good (usable and prehaps free) digital imaging software. It doesn't have to be capable of editing the pictures or anything like that.

Proxus

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jun 2003, 11:19
Proxus,

I do not know about free, but a few options are:

Adobe Programs:

Photoshop Album (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/main.html)

or

Photoshop Elements (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/main.html)

Roxio Programs:

PhotoSuite (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/photosuite/index.jhtml)

They all have demos you can try.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Tosh McCaber
2nd Jul 2003, 04:35
Great little programme for viewing your images is Irfanview. Free, I use it to preview all my camera images. Also has a Thumbnail section, and various methods of manipulating the images.

Check it out through Dogpile, my favourite search engine. I've never known Dogpile to fail to come up with the goods in a search!

mainfrog2
3rd Jul 2003, 07:57
Hi proxus,

Don't know if this helps but I got a V2.0 easyshare disc recently when I bought some Kodak paper, your welcome to it if you want it. Send me a private message and I'll send it on.

proxus
3rd Jul 2003, 08:20
However, that's exacly the cd that I have and came with the camera. The version that I am seeking is v2.1 which I think, came before this leap to v3.0.

This v2.1 was the best solution for me as I think the new version is too 'easy-share' for me. It wants to do thinks for me, not letting me do it my way. Maybe it's just me and my stubborness.

I have already talked to an agent at Kodak and he did not answer me on the question if they were going to make this sought after version of the sofware awailable through other means than to buy the cd. Maybe I end up trying to use this latest version.

Well thanks a bunch for the offer, it was nice gesture.

P.s. Tosh McCaber, do you know of any conflict of infranview to win2K on IBM laptop. I don't know if this software caused it, but when I restarted the pc after installation, the screen started to turn of and on uncontrollably, just as when you shut down the monitor with the "turn of monitor" button (FN-F3) on the lap.
Well.. maybe it was just of these things we dont know about.

Best regards to all

Proxus

Tosh McCaber
4th Jul 2003, 04:06
That's strange, Proxus. I have installed Irfanview on my own, and several other desktops and laptops, with absolutely no problems. (My own computer runs on Win 2K.)

Perhaps you could trying uninsalling the programme, to see if that corrects your problem. Then try a re-install.

proxus
4th Jul 2003, 06:09
After further testing I can see that this might have been a false alarm, sorry.

This problem hasn't occured again.

Tosh McCaber: this seems to be a usable software so I want to ask you something. When I select 'open' in 'file' and select the folder with the pics, how can I drag the mouse cursor over the pics that I want to select, f.ex when I have named all the pictures after an event and want to select the picts without clicking on each one at a time while holding down the Ctrl key ?

Thanks again
Proxus

mainfrog2
4th Jul 2003, 06:13
Thinking about what you posted earlier proxus and if your after something free why not try Serif photoplus 5.5, it's quite a large download but if you use a download manager you could do it in bits. I used to use it but now I've got a better computer I can use more powerful programs. Ignore all the marketing cr@p. Click hereSerif photoplus 5.5 (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp)

proxus
4th Jul 2003, 09:14
Thanks for the tip mainfrog2. However, I can see that I can use Photoshop to do what this program does.

But,

This Infranview serves me, in fact, serves me great.
It's actually the ONE I was hoping to find. (when you get used to it) It does everything I want and is easy to use.

Thanks a bunch y'all for the help

Proxus.