PDA

View Full Version : Belfast City

BCA03
29th Jun 2003, 22:30
Has anyone heard that the new oxners at BCA, are to make huge investments on the upgrade and extension of the existing runway?? They are also believed to be shifting the offices,that are upstairs, to make way for more retail space all within the next 8 months.
Is it likely then that maybe they might have a low cost operator shortly rather than latter (ie Ryanair, BMIBaby etc).
Can anyone like to add or clarify this??

MerchantVenturer
30th Jun 2003, 00:26
Have a look at the thread entitled 'Baby move' in this forum.

There is some discussion on this topic there that might interest you.

ALLMCC
30th Jun 2003, 16:38
a press release was issued last week confirming the runway resurfacibg is to commence next month at a cost of £6.5m - the work will take around 5 months to complete and will be done mostly outside opening hours - no mention was made of taxiways - in particular, A3 requires urgent attention as the surface is badly broken and is unsufficiently strong to accomodate BMI's Airbus's - with reference to low cost operators, it seems unlikely BMI Baby will move from BFS - the possibility of Ryanair is still on, I believe but have nothing further so far! Did hear though, that Liverpool and Stansted may be on the cards!

Tower Ranger
1st Jul 2003, 02:55
Work on A3 should start aprox 7weeks into the rwy resurface and there should be a lot more shops by Christmas...As for low cost aren`t Flybe lo-cost??

ALLMCC
1st Jul 2003, 17:01
Tower Ranger

Thanks for that - nice to see they will be getting a shop! - the current excuse for a shop is hopeless - on one evening when I visited the terminal the shop was closed at 1900hrs - when I asked why I was told it was because the manager was getting married! As far as Flybe are concerned, they would have you believe they ARE low cost - however letters I have seen in local press from would be passengers suggest otherwise with extreme difficulties being experienced in obtaining low fares despite being flexible with times/dates.

Standard Noise
1st Jul 2003, 18:39
Hi TR, work on A3 eh, will it be sufficient to prevent Cobra boy's more embarrassing moments?

Tower Ranger
2nd Jul 2003, 00:54
Hi Standard , yea it was either fix A3 or fit reverse gears to A321`s so now the "cobra" won`t get so rattled if you`ll excuse the pun!!

fadec_primary_channel
2nd Jul 2003, 19:17
cobra? explain

Is is anything to do with the rattling on landing?

ta.:)

Tower Ranger
2nd Jul 2003, 21:42
The "cobra boy " is one of the City boys and he`ll know exactly what we mean. (Look out the window , What window?)

go_around
3rd Jul 2003, 02:01
Now now ladies, gentlemen and TR, believe it or not I did not personally taxy a bus to A3 - the pilot was kind enough to do it for me while I was operating band-boxed and at the same time trying to get a clearance from our friends over the hill:uhoh: Maybe when they are solving the taxyway problems the Mats 2 can be updated so that no helicopters are over the city when we are departing 22 - now thats another story:confused:

PS My cobra does`nt rattle - not as much as TR`s Massey Ferguson anyway:ok:

Standard Entry
3rd Jul 2003, 05:23
Dunno bout the airbusses but l quite enjoy taking my wee cessna 310 in there it is good fun!, hope were not to much of a pest!!!

Standard Noise
4th Jul 2003, 00:17
Massey Ferguson Tdi 150 - now theres the weapon for down ere in the sticks, might help me blend in with the locals, ooh-arr! ooh-arr!

Cobra boy, you do know you made the monthly fun sheet, don't you? We had a right giggle at it last week. Along with the pilot who filed against one of my colleagues cos he reckoned he couldn't understand a word he was saying. Whinging sods!!!

Tower Ranger
4th Jul 2003, 03:59
Noisey, I`d heard that they were thinking of offering him a monthly column!!!
There`ll be a few late go arounds over the next six months once they close the A2 - A3 link. It`ll be like the good old days with just one exit at A1 and no rwy passes and no Queens apron and Shorts disused probably not available at night.

Standard E no probs with the 310 if only everybody else was as quick down the approach........ but you must be gettin fed up being dragged round for 04 so we can keep launching the morning departures over the lough!!

Go aroun , guess everyone will use my solution if the helicopters are flying those invisble vfr`s, the bus driver was obviously having a bad day!! Next thing you know they`ll want us to split our clearances into to parts to increase the confusion, DOH , too late!

Standard Entry
4th Jul 2003, 07:49
ach we dont mind mate, keeps the hours ticking along! :ok:

p.s. where is harbour lights these days???

keepitlit
4th Jul 2003, 16:34
Heard that the runway was to be extended 300/400m's to allow cat 2+,any truth in it.

Rgds K.I.L.:ok:

P.S. TDI,I thought they were rallying them now, :ok:

Standard Noise
4th Jul 2003, 19:19
One taxiway, ahh the good old days, more fun that was....
I've got 5 to choose from now, spoilt for choice so to speak.

ALLMCC
11th Aug 2003, 23:16
have heard that extensions beyond 2230 will not be permissable from now until runway resurfacing work completed & any arrivals after this time will divert to BFS - can anyone confirm this.

also can anyone confirm if there are any plans for an additional taxiway running from the eastern end of the ramp to the 22 end - believe the temporary building occupied by the Air Training Corp is now unoccupied and may be removed - only other obstacle is realignment of the car park - reduction in capacity could be countered by demolition/removal of disused ex Shorlac buildings currently in car park.

richardnei
11th Aug 2003, 23:36
Yes the city airport will not take arrivals after 2230. As a result almost every night their has been at least one flight having to divert to Aldergrove.

Last wednesday i think their were 5 diverted from flights from BHD because of the new closer times.

The aircraft usually leave Aldergrove at about 0700-0715 the next morning to go to the City. As a result the first flight out of BHD is usually delayed because the aircraft has to reposition to BHD.

This normally measn that if the aircraft can not make up the delay during the day it diverts back into Aldergrove again. Meaning th PAX have to be bused down to the City.

If this happens to often as it is doing at the moment then their will be some unhappy passengers for Flybe.

ALLMCC
12th Aug 2003, 00:09
Thanks for that Richard Nei - would imagine this will cause major diffs for BMI in the event of any delayed flights - first flight in the morning is at 0645 - with slots at LHR common even at this time of day there could be serious delays! - however, BMI seem to be able to avoid the sort of delays that afflict Flybe & BACX & particularly Air Wales (never on time!) so maybe there won't be too many probs.

mysecretsmile
12th Aug 2003, 01:21
I understand that the new owners at BHD have big plans and the resurfacing although a headache for passengers at the moment, they will reap the benefits in the future.

On the commerical aspects I have also heard that the new retail shops will be located where the current staff offices are located upstairs.

When the retail units are established, departing passengers
will depart by going up the escalator and turning right and into
a new security search area. Again I am led to believe work will commence around Oct. The new retail outlets will made up of a similar range of shops as currently in Bristol. (Ferrovial the new BHD owners have a 50% stake in Bristol as well)

On thing I have certainly noticed about BHD is that they seem to be very good at fully exploiting the advertising and marketing opportunities throughout the airport. Certainly more than what alot of other larger airports in the UK seem to be able to achieve.

Iam lead to believe at the moment that they are running a promotion similar to what I have seen at Heathrow, Gatwick & Stansted where you can win a sports car.