PDA

View Full Version : L-1011 crews

younglad20
29th Jun 2003, 22:05
I always wanted to fly as crew on the L-1011 after i flew on one from ALC-LGW with CKT back in 1998, such a wonderful a/c,so clean and tidy too,shame JMC got rid of them.

My friend who i fly with flew on the L-1011 with Air Ops of Europe (air oops as she calls them!) and she loved it too.Her only gripe was that there was only 1 galley slave under the floor, usually her, for 393 pax,mostly on a PMI or ALC and her first action after release was to put a BCF in the sink as she had an oven fire on 8/10 flights, nice!

What did those of you who flew L-1011 think of it?I do remember it sounded like a 757 but 100 times louder on take off, a very loud growling sound,rather like a lawnmower really.was that due to the no.2 engine noise being carried through the cabin ceiling?

WhiteDevil
29th Jun 2003, 22:08
JMC never flew the Lockheed Tristar, they flew the DC-10 :ok:

STARBUX
30th Jun 2003, 01:00
Hello (again) Younglad,

Well I flew the Tristar with CKT....I might have even taken u back from ALC.....! I wasnt with them for very long, however I have to say that I enjoyed my time on the Tristar. The cabin was very roomy, no danger of hitting ur head on the hatbins ah ah! Yes,she certainly had a big belly that was more than able to take all those nasty, ( sometimes nice) pax from the land of the maracas....hope I spelt that correctly!??

I had an aborted landing on it once,and my god all I can say is that I was glad that I had ALL of my own teeth .....( still got them for those of u who may be wondering)!!! All the best !

jmccrew
30th Jun 2003, 02:13
I used to fly on L1011 with ckt ........ but they very much showed their age ........Having an underfloor galley(ufg) had its good and bad points ... good points if you worked down there it was large and roomy with 2 good windows which looked down rather than out ..... also it was quite peace full compared with upstairs ......On the bad side CAA regs stated that only a certain amount of carts could be at cabin level at any one time ... therefore when drinks service finshed all drinks carts had to be sent downstairs .. you would start meal service ..... passenger in 44A would ask for wine .... off you go down to doors 2, down in the lift get wine from cart back in lift back to row 44 ....... passenger in 44B then says ummmmmm I would like wine as well ... so you can see it was very time wasting ... when on a PMI . Also aircon was not that good cool air would condence on ceiling and on take off pax sat at rear would get a shower ... also carts on L1011 were very very heavy compared to modern ones ... but did have fun 11 cabin crew on routes to middle east , india .USA ,carribean .. good old days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

younglad20
1st Jul 2003, 22:42
sorry whitedevil. should have made myself clearer, i meant JMC didnt keep them on once they began the transition,they kept the A320's and deathcruiser, but not the old ladies.