PDA

View Full Version : Today We Mourn the Passing of an Old Friend

FJJP
29th Jun 2003, 16:52
Quote -

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend. Common Sense lived a long life, but died recently in Canada. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, and factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math".

But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well-intentioned but overbearing regulations.

He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student, but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses into everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when people, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, were awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two step-siblings: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized that Common Sense was gone...

- Unquote

Now where have I heard all this before?…….

(With acknowledgement to 'dusterdan' on jetthrust.com)

luke77
3rd Jul 2003, 06:39
You just wasted 30 seconds of my life

BEagle
3rd Jul 2003, 16:36
Yesterday at Brize quite a few people mourned the passing of 6 friends when a C-17 repatriated the murdered RMPs from Iraq.

Regurgitated and rather weak posts from Jet Blast not welcome here. Some people really are mourning the passing of old friends.

DB6
4th Jul 2003, 01:26
What happened in Canada? Pay lawyers no more than flying instructors and you have solved the whole problem.
And here's one for you: why are lawyers considered honourable?
:mad: s

Tigs2
4th Jul 2003, 18:42
Just Had to write!
Thanks FJJP I find it a nice reflection on how sad we are all becoming.

Luke77 you clearly abandoned common sense a long time ago. Quote " You just wasted 30 seconds of my life".

Any one with an ounce of common sense would have realised after 10 seconds that they had wasted 10 secs of their life and stopped reading. You went on to waste a further 20 secs.

BEagle
Think about what you are saying chum, you normally do. The post concerned was in no way connected with the return of our six lost comrades, and how ever emotional you feel about the return at Brize(and I do too) and the sensless waste of life that it was, I think it was a cheap shot to throw your comments at FJJP. On reflection, if Common Sense had prevailed the respective families of those six soldiers would not be missing loved ones now, along with hundreds more from the coilition, let alone the thousands more in the far off hot and dry place. But common sense did not prevail, that is why we have exchanged such huge numbers of priceless lives to make sure that George Dubya, with an IQ of 85 gets re-elected and that he has access to cheap oil for the next 30 years. Shame we didn't heed the warning signs indicated in the first post.

AirfixPilot
4th Jul 2003, 20:59
I agree - a good and reflective (not to mention somewhat humourous) post...

KENNYR
4th Jul 2003, 21:34
Beagle, somewhat surprised at your tirade against FJJP. I am sure that when FJJP posted he was not aware that the C17 would be bringing our brave colleagues back from Iraq three days after the post.

I know FJJP and please believe me when I say that he is not the callous person you make him out to be.

The quoted passage was not from Jet Blast on this site but from a Canadian aviation site called Jetthrust.com

EESDL
5th Jul 2003, 00:08
Way out of line Beags!
Great thread with nothing whatsover to do with recent tragic events, only someone who has lost all logic would imagine that such a cheap shot would be taken by a PPRuNer.

Ain't it strange how we all recognise how standards/expectations/common sense values have reduced...but it still goes on and is tolerated?

My kids can forget the 'honourable' life of 'Queen and Country' and are going to become Lawyers:-(

Fly safely everyone

Scud-U-Like
5th Jul 2003, 00:54
Common sense tells me I'd rather be living in today's society than that of 100 years ago.

Tigs2
5th Jul 2003, 05:04
Any way what is common sense?

It is not in the concise Oxford Dictionary.
The RAF have Common Sense and Resourcefulness as two seperate assessment criteria on the annual appraisal form (what is the difference??). I can only liken the relationship between the two as that like Fog and Mist. In the COD the definition of fog is " a heavy mist" and the definition of mist is " a light fog"!!!

Beags! where are you?, and are you now less emotional??

FJJP
7th Jul 2003, 01:42
Beags, I had hoped that by now you had me pegged as someone who is sensitive to the sensibilities of others. I, too, buried good friends and colleagues as a result of GW1 & 2, as well as to other fatal events throughout my career.

There was never any intention to throw humour around at a time when such a tragic event as the loss of the 6 RMPs was reaching its conclusion. I apologise to you if my post caused you offence.

FJJP

BEagle
7th Jul 2003, 02:44
Apologies to those who considered my comments unreasonably excessive.

Perhaps "Today we mourn the passing of commonsense" might have been a more appropriate title whilst we are still facing hostile action?