PDA

View Full Version : Phones BA + FR

PAXboy
28th Jun 2003, 00:39
I see that BA Exec have changed the number for Blue card holders of their esteemed 'Executive Club'. It was a local call cost on '0845' and is now a national call rate on '0870'. I am trying to think of a reason that I am not surprised. :hmm:

However, in fairness, it is not just BA. When the '0800' service opened many companies went down that route and it looked like we were going to have the same sort of service as you get in the USA.

Then companies went to '0845' at local call rates and soon after that to the National call rate. One of the reasons that they can do this so easily is that the numbering plan in this country is a mess and most folks do not realise the cost of the calls that they are making. The cost benefits of using 0870 grow with call volumes and can make a small but significant contribution.

On this front, I see that our dear friends at Ryan Air have started their own third party telephone company. They are selling discounted phone service that include, of course, links from the main web site. This (probably) means that they are buying phone minutes in bulk and selling on, consequently, the calls that they need to make as part of their business are being made from within the wholesale rate. Smart move.