PDA

View Full Version : Seti@home & wireless network

phnuff
27th Jun 2003, 21:00
For some time, I have been running Seti@home on a lan connected machine in the office. This is no longer possible and wanting to continue looking for little green men, I decided to try seti on my XP Home machine - at home.

The Machine is used as the gateway to the internet for 3 pc's (one of then itself) ,which are connected using a Belkin Wireless 11mbs network. The network itself is running in ad-hoc mode based on an f5d6050 adapter on the 'XP Home server' (for want of a better description), and a couple of f5d6020 PCMCIA cards in XP home and W2k laptops.

When I installed seti@home, the wireless LAN stopped working. When I deinstalled seti@home, the network started working so I am reasonably certain seti@home is the cause.

Has anyone else found this ?

(I am a bit concerned that I may miss that transmission from Alpha Centauri approach that I have been looking for all these years.)

cdtaylor_nats
27th Jun 2003, 21:16
I have the same setup but no problems, all 3 machines happily process SETI. The only time it gets a bit strange is if the broadband modem is down. That can cause a reboot or two.

phnuff
27th Jun 2003, 21:33
Hmm, so I now know it is possible. I shall have to investigate more. I guess a starting point would be to pull down all the latest Belkin drivers and start from a clean sheet.

Thanks

fobotcso
27th Jun 2003, 23:42
In one of the dialogue boxes you pass through as you configure a wireless LAN there is check-box saying something like:

"Allow Microsoft Windows to configure my Wireless Network for me"

It might be that if you haven't already done so you should make sure that this box is un-checked so that the Belkin Configuration Manager can do its stuff unhindered.