PDA

View Full Version : Medical problems flying helicopter

theraingod
27th Jun 2003, 20:13
Medical problems

As a wantabe, what kind of medical problems could I look forward to? (aside from the rise in life insurance cost)

I noticed someone mentioned backs, are there other problems like hearing, repetitive strain injury ect?

thanks

Dantruck
27th Jun 2003, 22:25
Be prepared for stabbing pains in the wallet. These usually ease just long enough for you to start to enjoy yourself, only for another even worse one unexpectedly to arrive, doubling you over in panic.

Also, expect repeated dizzy spells as you pay for the issue of your license, and all those ratings. And steady yourself for short sharp pains in the forehead as you slap yourself in shock when you open yet another envelope containing an invoice from your training provider.

Apart from that, it's a pain free existence, isn't it chaps?:ok:

The Nr Fairy
27th Jun 2003, 22:32
Tell me about it ! I did some sums this morning, and to get as far as typed, based and lined on the 206 will cost me in the order of 3 grand plus VAT !

Lu Zuckerman
28th Jun 2003, 01:52
Wear a good quality noise-canceling headset to avoid hearing problems that can last a lifetime. Headsets of this type were not available when I was in the service sitting very close to loud round engines and I have lost some of my high frequency hearing and I have a constant ringing in my ears. Turbine and gearbox noise can be even worse than loud exhaust noise and it can work even faster.

My brother is a dentist and he has the same problem which was caused by the high frequency noise from the air motor drills.

:ooh:

SASless
28th Jun 2003, 05:26
Lu,

There is a God in Heaven then.....somehow the thought of a dentist going deaf from the noise of his drill brings some inner peace to me. Please tell me he is an Army Dentist!

Lu Zuckerman
28th Jun 2003, 07:55
To: SASless

Sorry, he was in the US Navy on assignment with the Marines.

:E :ok: :ok: :E

GLSNightPilot
28th Jun 2003, 11:42
I don't think there are many endemic medical problems that are unique to helicopters. I've been flying them for > 30 years, & my hearing is still fine, but I make a point to protect it, always have, always will. Hemorrhoids from all the sitting and vibrating are about the worst of it, if you don't count divorce as a disease. :p

SASless
28th Jun 2003, 11:58
....or the liver that looks like a Rugby football....and the attendant death of all those brain cells from the alchohol consumption.

Kennel Keeper
28th Jun 2003, 14:42
You will definately get AIDS from owning or flying helicopters!!!

Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

Hingeless Rotor
28th Jun 2003, 14:49
Possibly a side effect of B47's. Alot of helicopter pilots will suffer some form of skin cancer as time goes on........

sad fact.

Mac the Knife
28th Jun 2003, 21:06
I'm not a pilot HL but the 'ol Bell 47 sure is open. But I do know about skin cancers (part of a big clinic).

All outdoors folk are at risk and the higher you fly the less atmospheric filtration of UVA/A. The bigger the windows the more you get. The paler your natural skin and eye colour the bigger your risk (but even blacks aren't immune).

Follow the Slip, Slop, Slap rules & you'll be OK

Slip on a (long sleeve) shirt to best foil sun rays, including those reflected off water, sand, concrete or snow. Even overcast days allow burning rays through, so don’t expect clouds to protect your skin.
Slop sunscreen on exposed areas such as face, lips, forearms, hands, ears and the tops of bare feet.
Use a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. Reapply every two hours, more often if you’re swimming or perspiring. You can get non-greasy aerosols for your hands (backs of hands/arms worst in pilots).
Slap on a broad-brimmed hat to shield your ears and neck (or flight helmet). A baseball cap woun't protect 'em.
Wrap on sunglasses or ski goggles to protect eyes and the surrounding skin.
Watch your skin for suspicious spots. Examine your skin regularly for changes. If they are found early, most skin cancers can be cured by simple treatment. Not a bad idea to see a dermatologist every six months if you're a high hours pilot.

Stay safe and I'll probably never have to treat you (pity, 'cos I'd love a ride..)

SASless
28th Jun 2003, 22:18
Mac,

Maybe you can get rich by designing a great big floppy Panama that incorporates a sound suppressing headset....now that would be the rage amongst offshore pilots! If we could then get the management to alter the uniform requirement to include gaudy Hawaiian shirts and plaid Calypso pants and Teva Sandals.....heck...our downtime between throttle and bottle could be lessened to a most tolerable timespan.

theraingod
30th Jun 2003, 20:22
sound like 'stabbing in the wallet' should be my largest problem...

just can't work out if I should be happy about that or not, as it can really hurt.

(thanks everyone)