PDA

View Full Version : My website (again)

BRL
27th Jun 2003, 01:45
Hi all. Sorry for being a pain about this. As some of you know, I have got my own domain name and that is linked to my free btinternet space. Now, when I go to my homepage it is like this.....
Index of /~***********
The astrix are my user name. and there is a list of what I have uploaded so far on the page.
I have a web-page made with DreamweaverMX and when I upload that it just adds to the list of what is already there.
How do I get my nice looking web-page up that I made with MX?????????? :confused: :confused:

BahrainLad
27th Jun 2003, 02:09
Hope I'm not stating the obvious, but your 'home page' must be named index.htm

BRL
27th Jun 2003, 02:11
I have tried that and uploaded it and it just joins the list as index.htm :(

PaperTiger
27th Jun 2003, 03:05
Not familiar with btinternet, but try default.html or index.html

jethro15
27th Jun 2003, 04:24
Probably stating the obvious, but do you have 'index.htm' in lower case as it should be??

idgas
27th Jun 2003, 05:40
Try index.html

The "L" can make the difference.

Cheers, :cool:

oopps just read earlier post (RTFS)

jethro15
27th Jun 2003, 06:27
Another thought

Where exactly in your list of site files is 'index.htm'??. It should come directly off the root folder (The folder right at the top of your files list. Don't have it tucked away in another folder.

Ausatco
27th Jun 2003, 07:31
Is your index.htm file in the right folder or directory on your website. You may have to check with your ISP about this.

Do you have the correct permissions set for the folder or directory where index.htm resides.

I don't know much about this except that it's relevant, and adjustable. I use CuteFTP to administer my site. Using that I right-click a directory, select CHMOD from the menu and check the permissions. Using what works on my site as a guide:-

Owner permissions are Read, Write and Execute.
Group permissions are not set.
Public permissions are Execute.

That is CHMOD 701.

Other directories on my site are the same as the above, but with Public permissions set to Read and Execute - CHMOD 705.

Maybe it's the Public Execute permission that is missing from your site's directory(ies)

An educated guess, I'm afraid.

Edited to add:- I'm sure someone knew this already, but after a bit of trial and error fiddling with permissions and filenames I remembered that case is important for filenames. Your index.htm filename MUST BE ALL LOWER CASE.

I renamed mine to Index.htm (upper case "I") and all the page did was list the files, just like yours. Changed it back to all lower case and it worked as it should.

Hope that's your answer.

AA

BRL
27th Jun 2003, 12:08
Thanks all. I am just off to work right now so will try a few things out later when I get back around 2pm. I did try changing the I in Index to lower case but that didn't work. I will let you all know later how I got on...One day it will be done..!!! :D

BRL
28th Jun 2003, 19:59
Aahhhhhh....no joy.... :(

This ' index.htm ' is missing. I can not see it when I have Cute up and running. How do I get it? and do I just upload it from Cute then upload everything into it...???? :confused:

Here it is by the way Here. (http://www.evo.me.uk)

BOAC
28th Jun 2003, 20:17
You should be able to upload your 'home' page to the root site directory as 'index.htm' or .html. What name have you given it on your hard drive?

amanoffewwords
28th Jun 2003, 21:22
If you can see those three files in CuteFTP you can assume the settings to access your website space are correct and therefore you should be able to drag the index.html file across to your server space, not to the true root since that is used by BTopenWorld for its own purposes.

jethro15
30th Jun 2003, 06:16
Have you tried using the upload facility within Dreamweaver itself??. Works every time for me with no problems.

BRL
30th Jun 2003, 10:56
Hi Jethro. If it is the ' Put 'command then yes, I have done that. What happened when I done it was the stuff on there had got deleted and the page that I tried to upload wasn't there. Just a blank page.......:confused:

Also, when I start up Dreamweaver, the page name is ' Untitled document '. Is this what I change to ' index.htm '??????

jethro15
30th Jun 2003, 16:28
Ah, think we've cracked it.

When you first set up the site, did you 'Define' it within Dreamweaver??

If not, let me have your home e-mail address and I'll send you some instructions as an attachment.

BRL
30th Jun 2003, 21:57
Ahh, now I don't think I did that. I followed the tutorials right through but can't remember ' Defining ' anything.

[email protected]

Ta..... :)

jethro15
30th Jun 2003, 22:29
Details sent via e-mail.

Let us know how you get on