PDA

View Full Version : verfolgungswahn Ryanair?

atb1943
26th Jun 2003, 16:15
I'd like your views on the following subject -

Since October 2001 I've been trying to get a refund from good old Ryanair. Whilst booking a flight for my son and myself HHN-STN, having almost got through to the final stage of booking, an error message appeared to the effect that ' the return flight chosen is not available at that price'. The program then crashed and I had to reboot.
I therefore booked us on a following flight at about the same price. I printed out the confirmation. On arrival at Hahn, the check-in lady asked if we were here twice. Guess why!
During the following week, I tried to contact Ryanair by phone - practical impossibility, as anyone who has tried will know. I hear there has been a lot of blather about it on UK TV. The Ryanair switchboard does MOL proud, with mis-information about numbers to call, incorrect fax numbers, no, you can't speak to anyone here, etc. From the UK I was told to call Germany, Germany was sympathetic but suggested I call the UK, who said to call Dublin, etc etc. Who has time for all that?

Faxes got no response, until I threatened legal action, whereupon a letter arrived from the Refund Manageress, stating I had been sent an email confirmation for each flight, so I should have reacted then. No refund. I recall I didn't check emails, due to preparations for trip, funeral, etc. It's ongoing. And we are talking about 400 plus DM (twas pre-Euro).

I've flown a fair bit with them since, almost all HHN-BOH.

I booked recently again, to go to the RAFA show at Shoreham at the end of August. Lots of time, bound to get a good deal. Out on a Thursday evening at 20:25 so I can get a day's work in, no need for a day's holiday. Back on the following Tuesday, dep BOH at 21:25. 42 EUR, can't complain eh!

I now get an email notifying a change in schedules:

out on Thursday at 0700! (HHN is only 130 klicks away...
back on Tuesday at 0800 (BOH will be 2 hours from where I shall be staying, my friends WILL be pleased).

The mail states I can accept, apply for a refund (HA!!) if the times differ by more than 3 hours, or contact Ryanair by phone (HA again!) for details of a free flight transfer (restrictions apply) on the following numbers...UK...IRL...EU...

Is this being given the runaround, or have I become sensitive due to the ongoing thingy (which WILL become legal, I assure you, and should have a long time ago, I hear you say).

Or is this to be expected from a company that has got too big for its breeches (but which has changed the way I get 'home', I have to say).

I'll give it a go on the old phone, but I can see my approaching the next 738 with a padlock and chain in hand (no, they'd probably take it off me at the desk).

Please don't tell me...at those prices, what do you want, gold-edged boarding cards?

Tongue in cheek (but I'm reelly wurried..!).

Reminds me of one flight I got on at Hahn, the boarding card numbers were I think in the high four hundreds. Couple got on pretty late, from the dress and language West Africa, went up and down looking for their seat number.....charly here helped translate for the Spanish flight attendant.

Luv you all, hope to see you at Shoreham!

PAXboy
26th Jun 2003, 18:23
I am not a regular on FR but from all that I have heard about them ... not a chance!

I expect that you will have to make your double booking error challenge legal. Keep the word FUNERAL in clear view at all times as it is the only thing that might gain sympathy from the magistrate/legal people.

As to changed flights, FR did this to me once, fortunately only by half an hour but they had not informed me of it, despite having checked the details on line, less than 12 hours before the flight. I made the flight but only just and their lack of interest is one of the reasons I do not use them.

That said, plenty of cheap flights - if you play by their rules! Remember though that MoL's interest is not in flying passengers happily and safely but just being able to thumb his nose at the British. No harm in that at all and I hope he feels pleased when he does so - but it means that his focus is elsewhere.

Snoopy
2nd Jul 2003, 21:13
Remember reading an article not that long ago in the Financial Times about Ryanair and it's boss in particular. They were discussing refunds at one point and his comment was "What part of no refunds don't you understand?"

Chances of are refund: Slim and none?

eng123
3rd Jul 2003, 07:58
PAXboy,
Please substantiate your claim that Ryanair has 'no interest in flying passenger's safely' You have made this comment without any substance and I resent it.

As for refunds etc. Read the booking conditions before paying.I have travelled with RYR many times and had no problems what-so-ever.The flight times were changed on me once but I was informed by e-mail and as the changes were acceptable I agreed without problems.As has been stated,if the times change by a huge amount then a full refund is available.

Chef
6th Jul 2003, 08:59
eng123

I would agree with you, sorry paxboy Fr are are a pretty safe bunch, its not often i see them at EGSS on the blues. RYR get bad press normally from those who have missed flights. I see many who do get a good deal, turn up at checkin before the -40 closure time and arrive at the gate at -10 and are all smiles knowing that there off on time,not grab a coffee at starbucks on the way resulting in a missed flight.

The performance is good if you want to get away on time(within 15mins) then FR are achieving this daily.

MOL has some crazy ideas even his own staff think mental but it works.