PDA

View Full Version : Civair to London??

BMM389EC
26th Jun 2003, 00:49
Read in the Business Day today that Civair have got rights and intend to fly to London Stanstead???!!! Anyone know anything. A misprint - Comair perhaps?

George Tower
26th Jun 2003, 12:41
Not a misprint I reckon......probably the same civair that cliams it flies to Madrid and Athens. Should be fun when the biggest a/c they own is a Kingair 90.:rolleyes:

26th Jun 2003, 14:00
I can imagine flying that route with a Beech 90. It would nearly be like the old days when you had to stop 5-6 times for fuel on the way up. Need something like 3 days to get there.:ugh:
This would give business travel a whole new meaning:sad:

clipboard
26th Jun 2003, 16:04
Anyone can apply to the Air Service Licencing Council for a route, and anyone can lease a piece of hardware to fly there. I very much doubt if Civair has the infrastructure or the resources to embark on such an ambitious project, but then again, one would never know. Venture capitalists are abundant, as long as the project is feasible.

Looking at their website, and seeing the pictures of the Red & White Civair jet with CIVAIR.COM written all over it, one can only assume that to post that on a website when such an airline does not exist, the CEO must be seriously driven by his own ego and vanity. Good luck guys!!!!

clipboard
27th Jun 2003, 14:37
Watch this space carefully. There are some serious developments concerning this company.

Goffel
28th Jun 2003, 02:39
Sorry to pee on every one's battery,but Civair does have a 727 and is running a service to London.
They are going via Abijan then onto London.
The a/c was delayed in Abijan the other day as the Captain had the runs.
Andy Cluver the owner is also looking for crew.He is presently in Spain at this moment buying another aircraft.(I have just spoken to him)
Anyone interested,his number is 0826582899.
Requirements for co-pilot are Comm with multi as he is looking to build the guy for a long time future with the company.
So all you wanna-bees.Nows your chance.

JollyGIII
28th Jun 2003, 05:41
I am suffering from terminal sceptism. I have tried 20mg of optianticynism (twice daily, with meals), but it doesn't seem to work. Like a 727 to London one-stop.

concordino
28th Jun 2003, 06:30
Unless it is a re-engined 727 with aux tanks, it won't do ABJ-LON direct.
BTW Goffel
is that an SA phone number?
and is the requirment for an SA commercial/Instrument multi?
Cheers

clipboard
28th Jun 2003, 15:09
Goffel my man! You never fail to suprise me. Your intimate knowledge on the activities of Civair and the whereabouts of Andy Cluver amazes me. Are you his PA? In Spain huh? Rumour has it that he's actually in FACT trying to get SAA to donate an old 747 that is destined for the scrapyard. I mean,,,,,, to own an airline with no airplanes is one thing, but to own a 747 is REALLLYYY something, aint it?

Goffel
28th Jun 2003, 23:30
Yepp.He has fitted extra aux tanks.No problem with range.Ask any of the Angolan 727 drivers and I am sure they will explain this mod in finer detail.
The number that is given is a SA cell number with roaming.
Requirements are SA Comm or equivalent.
Knowledge where Andy is.Well now chaps.That is up to you guys to work out.I dont need to ask for the 727 job.
Interviews are starting soon.
Snooze you lose.
:cool:

rags
29th Jun 2003, 13:46
Can I remind all you old timers about a company called AVIA (G d K) Operated with a 747 to London for a short time.
:hmm:

This looks like the same story, replayed in different colours. Like with Avia a lot of passengers will loose a lot of money. (All those prepaid tickets)

To run a long distance airline, or any airline as a matter of fact, one needs a lot of bucks and I do not think this operation will get that much.

Two aircraft is not enough to operate the service either. What about breakdowns. How much time to turn the aircraft around after a service.

Sorry will not buy tickets on that airline.

:suspect:

Capetonian
29th Jun 2003, 16:19
Several have tried to beat the SA/BA/VS tri-opoly on the SA - UK route.
Not just Avia, there was also 'African Star' (Dis-a-star), the black empowermunt MD :mad: ed off with the money, there was another outfit that ran a couple of charters with a wanked out Tristar. Then there was Lion (Lying) Air - we all know what happened to him.
SA - ABJ - LON on a 727 with one stop - if there's a tailwind. I'm sure a lot of people are going to go for that.

PAXboy
30th Jun 2003, 02:22
In the 'Airlines, Airports & Routes' forum, see the thread about 'Man Air'. One of the posts states:

Man Air (Jun26, 2003)

A new airline to be based at Manchester. Man Air has filed an application for an Air Operators Licence is with the Civil Aviation Authority. If approved the airline will start service with a Boeing 767-300 in Nov03 on routes to Alicante, Lanzarote, Las Palmas, Malaga, Tenerife as well as Cape Town and Durban.

Well, they have to GET the AOC and then the a/c and then the crew and then the 'local' routes before they can get into CPT and DUR. However, I have no doubt that the pax are waiting for the next person to bring down ticket prices.

By the way, don't ask me about these folks as I have never heard of them, check the thread!

The Claw
30th Jun 2003, 02:56
Apologies for going "off topic" but whilst talking about AVIA, does anyone know what became of Doug Berry?

TKS,

Capetonian
30th Jun 2003, 05:42
I saw Doug Berry about three years ago in Durbanville (CPT), where we had dinner with a mutual friend. He was living in JNB at the time, working as a consultant and involved in a pipe dream project to start an airline based on money that was going to be put up by a 'scientist' who'd invented a fuel cell. The airline was going to compete head on with SAA. clearly, it didn't! This was after USAfrica Airways folded.

Somewhere I have his business card. If I find it, I will private message you his contact details.

(I assume you mean Doug Berry who worked long ago for SAA in CPT)

Back to topic, the Man Air things looks vaguely plausible. More so than some of the others anyway

The Claw

My 'good lady' tells me I am the untidiest person in the world. It took me just 30 seconds to find Doug Berry's business card!

As I can't email you, please would you email me through the site and I will send you his details.

The Claw
30th Jun 2003, 15:22
Many thanks, yes it is the same man! I've never known anyone "kill" as many airlines as he has:} Every silver lining has a cloud for that man !

I don't wish to contact him thanks anyway, I was just wondering if he remained in the business. :confused:

Goffel
4th Jul 2003, 03:54
:8 Well I must admit I have now had a good laugh at the many people who have sat in the airport pub openly discussing whether this 727 can actually go CT - Abijan - London with only the one refuel.
Aux tanks.Ja no well fine.Mind you me thinks you do get them but no pax then.
As for Civair actually owning a 727,I think they have more chance of buying out WIN Air that is for sale.(Not the Huey's).
I think thats why they call this a rumour chat.
For some of the guys fuelling the fire in the pub the other night,I thank you.
:} :cool:
Oh well,the 747 might just arrive.Now that might just do.

rags
4th Jul 2003, 15:06
Man Air

Those of you in the know???

How many airlines are allowed on the routes to SA.

Is it not 2 per country. If yes that will put Man Air out of the running. BA / VG, as we know, are on route already.

:E :E :E

The other problem is that if you do not start the route within a year, you can loose it to some other person willing to loose bucks

Speak under correction but Civair does not have to mony frends in CT

:E :E