View Full Version : Runway Edge Lighting

compressor stall
25th Jun 2003, 22:33
Another offbeat query is to find the spacing for runway edge lighting at aerodromes.

From AIP AD 1.1.4.4.1 (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/aip/aip/ad/ad112129.pdf)

4.4.1 Runway edge lighting has longitudinal spacing of 60M for
instrument runways but may be up to 90M for non-instrument
runways and for non-precision approach runways at country
aerodromes.

Nowwhere in the ERSA nor DAP IALs can I find the reference for each particular aerodrome for exactly how far the lights are apart at country regional airports where I infer they "may be up to 90M" apart.

Any advice, besides counting them and diving the result by the runway length?

Cheers

Stallie

And to nip the "WTF for" questions in the bud... it's for determining minimum visiblility required in fog at night. :E

Chief galah
26th Jun 2003, 08:07
CS

Have a look at

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/rules/download/RPA/Chap12.pdf[/URL]

The aerodrome charts in DAP, and ERSA give the type of lighting for the RWY's at the location. (As you stated)

I assume at country locations without ATS, all lighting is LIRL, thus spacing of 90M, single intensity. If the distance between lights is not standard, it should be listed in the lighting section in ERSA.

Other higher intensity lighting must be under the control of someone at the aerodrome. If it's HIRL then the spacing should be 60M.

Except at aunty Essendon where the HIRL is spaced at 45M on RWY 26, and ERSA reflects this.

This is by no means exhaustive, and I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there who can elucidate further.

CG

compressor stall
29th Jun 2003, 17:49
Thanks Chief... a good link and kind of exactly what I was after...

Still not as definitive as I though it might be:

9.2.5 – The longitudinal spacing of runway edge lights is to be uniform and be:

(a) 60 + 0/-5m for an instrument runway, except that existing edge lights spaced at 90 ± 10m apart are acceptable for non-precision instrument runways intended to be used in visibility condition of 1.5 km or better.
(b) 90 ±10m for a non-instrument runway.

Note 1: With GPS technology, virtually any runway can become an instrument runway. Accordingly, any new runway edge lights should be spaced in accordance with subparagraph (a)

But how would I determine that a runway had the 60m or the 90m lights as it had an NPA?

So do I presume that say:

Bunbury would be 90 metres - although BUN is unlicenced...

Broome would be 60 metres
RWY 10/28 LIRL PAL 119.6 SDBY PWR AVBL

Jandakot would be 60 metres
RWY 06L/24R LIRL PAL 123.9 SDBY PWR AVBL
RWY 12/30 LIRL PAL SDBY PWR AVBL

But how would I know if say JT had lights out to 90 metres? After all they still would be "standard" as they comply with the requirements of the above reg. Would all "instrument" runways that did not have 60m then specify that in the Lighting section of their respective ERSA entry?

Chief galah
30th Jun 2003, 12:08
cs

I feel a disclaimer coming on.......

I thought LIRLs were all 90M.

MIRLs seem to vary per location either 60M or 90M.

I still think HIRLs are all 60m and uni-directional, and associated with an ILS.

But then again, YMAV RWY 18 has an ILS and only LIRL :hmm:

Perhaps it's best ask at your friendly CASA office.

Now, about that disclaimer..........

CG