PDA

View Full Version : Text goes missing whilst building post?

newswatcher
25th Jun 2003, 18:11
Has anyone else had a problem when building a post?

I am in the middle of creating a post when I need to "switch" to another "concurrent" window to get some more information, check facts etc. However, when I switch back to my PPRuNe window, the text I had previously entered is no longer there! :mad:

This happens frequently, but I have yet to spot a pattern - e.g. is it more likely to happen when I switch with mouse, or by "ALT/TAB"?

I am using a COMPAQ Armada M700 with Windows 2000 professional.

Ausatco
25th Jun 2003, 20:39
That has happened to me in the past, though I don't know why and thankfully it's not frequent.

I try to remember to select all the text in the Reply window and copy it to the clipboard so that if it happens again I can just paste it into the now blank reply.

For longer replies I compose them in Notepad first (temporarily saving them if necessary - eg if interrupted when Mrs AA sounds the dinner gong :D ) and then cut and paste them to the Reply window.

Haven't answered your question, sorry, but they're my workarounds.

Cheers

AA

newswatcher
25th Jun 2003, 20:47
Thanks Ausatco, since it is intermittent, I have so far resorted to "highlight/copy" before I switch screen, but your resolutions seem entirely more appropriate! :ok:

BOAC
26th Jun 2003, 15:17
I fully endorse Ausatco's solution and use it myself. It has several 'plusses':-

1) It enables you to review what you might have posted in haste before posting!

2) It enables a better check on spppellin

3) If your connection drops whilst 'composing' that masterpiece, you do not lose the beautiful work.

PS Aussie - you never know your luck! It may not be the dinner gong.................

newswatcher
26th Jun 2003, 16:31
Thanks TCS but already on IE 5.5.

Drivers controlled by company desktop support.

Ausatco
26th Jun 2003, 21:07
Yes, BOAC, fully concur with your first point. The phrase "Publish and be damned" has a certain ring to it, but there are implications which, once experienced, are better not re-visited. Say no more :O

I look forward to the evening when the dinner gong sounds and all that is on the table is ... oh, enough! Surely too much information:)

AA