PDA

View Full Version : More time for shareware trial ?

KYGMSY
25th Jun 2003, 17:46
I've downloaded and installed some trial software with a time limit of 5 days. 5 days wasn't enough as I only had time to try it once ! Having uninstalled and reinstalled the trial it won't work because it knows it has been installed before. Anyone have any ideas on what needs to be changed to remove it from memory completely and start from scratch? Can't find anything in the system registry, don't really know where else to look.

OS is Win 98.

Cheers.

fobotcso
26th Jun 2003, 18:17
The info about the software is kept in *.DAT files. There is one of these for the machine (System.dat) and one for each user A single user machine has just USER.DAT. I'm a bit out of touch with 98 but you might try creating a new user profile and log on as that user to reinstall the software.

In Windows Explorer search for the name of your software in *.dat files. On my Win98SE test machine, Acroread is found in USER.DAT only. Winzip gets a mention in both USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT.

Five days does seem rather short. Maybe the vendor doesn't want you to have it at all. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot....