PDA

View Full Version : Whos runs PPRune ? Why was the O'Connors drugs pilot & NJS base closure posts closed

Life On Mars
25th Jun 2003, 17:11
Why was the story about the O'Conors drugs pilot and the NJS base closure stories pulled just when the topics were being discussed?

I agree with " Hostie Humper " who hopefully is having a good time!

Hostie Humper
25th Jun 2003, 18:29
Having a great time thanks Mars.
Much like Mars, I am surrounded by 'Red', and a particularly target rich environment!

Torres
25th Jun 2003, 22:36
I guess living on Mars one could get out of touch, however I would think every PPRuNer that lives on this Planet knows exactly why the threads are no longer visible.

In one instance there is the presumption of innocence and the consequences of media speculation on a matter which may be sub judicia, and in the other, the very least may be an infringement of copyright and more likely, the potential for a very lucrative retirement plan for an entire firm of inventive lawyers.

Indeed, I am uterly amazed the threads lasted as long as they did! I've been around this Forum long enough to remember when the Chief Pilot (who incidentally, owns 100% of the shares in this bit of cyberspace) would dummyspit and close the entire Dunnunda Forum for far, far less.

And his lectures to us colonials often contained words one would not normally expect to hear from a very British Captain or learn on a CRM course!

I would suggest the Chief Pilot, Woomeri, et al took a totally appropriate and responsible action, for which he/they/them/it would have almost total support from PPRuNers Dunnunda!

Oh ... and in answer to your first question, go look at the home page where the Chief Pilot's name is clearly evident. Makes it easy for law firms to serve the Summonses.

compressor stall
25th Jun 2003, 22:47
I would hazard a guess that if the posts were not removed the site would be closed down by threat of legal action.

The non australian person who set up this site for us to use stands to lose a lot should the lawyers get him, and they have tried for far less.

Thus, this is not a free anonymous bulletin board, as you would have read when you signed up.

You did read that didn't you?

:uhoh:

slice
26th Jun 2003, 17:04
So what is the story with Usenet Newsgroups then? Completely unmoderated (you could say anything about anybody - especially the Aeronauticaly challenged adventurer!):E Who would you sue ?:hmm:

scrubba
27th Jun 2003, 01:48
well, it is the old journalist's conundrum: is the public interest (for publication) worth the cost (next time, no one will be told before the press conference)?

the end result is fairly predictable - any NJS interest in keeping their own employees in the loop will be buried by the good old QF propensity to deliver "shock & awe" rather than well managed people planning.

i suppose that the up side is that the final announcements will be beyond negotiation, thus reducing the angst of rumour and doubt

Woomera
27th Jun 2003, 15:26
Aye, Torres. nicely put.

The reason I moved the thread is because firstly the person was named, and secondly because a few individuals chose to make potentially libelous remarks about him.

How would you lot feel if you were "outed" and defamatory remarks were made about you that may or may not be correct?

Danny (the owner) gives you lot a fair bit of latitude with what you can write here. As his delegated moderators, so do we.

Some of the posts crossed the line and were not in particularly good taste. That's why I moved the thread.