PDA

View Full Version : Cholera Vaccination....

engineoff
24th Jun 2003, 17:39
Can anyone help with regards to advice on Cholera vaccinations in the UK. Have been advised by both my GP and the BA travel clinic that there are very few people who now hold the vaccine as it's success was always a bit dubious.
I am shortly visiting a country in West Africa who I have been told require the vaccination certificate to allow entry, and if I turn up without it, I am liable to be vaccinated at the airport there and then, which I am trying to avoid if at all possible..
Any help much appreciated!

the flying scot
24th Jun 2003, 18:23
Whether a success or not, the most important thing is to have the certificate when entering certain countries. I had the vaccine 5 years ago, and it was very easy to get. There are still hundreds of places around where you will get it. Most countries don't require you to have it unless you are entering from an 'infected' country. Therefore, if you are travelling around West Africa, I would most certainly get it. If you turn up and they ask to see your certificate, and you don't have one, they won't let you in unless you get it there. That means (a). you might get a used needle and (b). you don't know for sure what they are actually giving you. If in doubt, get it before you go, at least for the certificate. As long as you are healthy and drink bottled water, the chances of catching cholera are very slim.

engineoff
24th Jun 2003, 22:42
F S ; Thanks for that . I am trying to get the vaccine in the UK but don't really know who to try... Apparently no GP's have it anymore. Don't think it's all that easy to get hold of!

FoxCharlie
25th Jun 2003, 16:47
I've just looked in the British National Formulary guide, prescribing guide for doctors. It says the Cholera vaccine is no longer available in the UK, whether from a GP or Hospital. I will ask around the hospital where i work, to see if anyone knows how you could get hold of it, but i don't think it is even manufactured in the UK anymore.
I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

FC

Which country are you travelling to??

I think the best advice is to contact the British Consulate in the country you are visiting, they will be able to offer you the best advice, because I think it is very unlikely that you will be able to get hold of the vaccine in the UK.

gingernut
25th Jun 2003, 22:32
From "The Handbook of Travel Medicine" Ganley (1996)

Cholera:

Risk areas: Countries where food and water are liable to faecal contamination, especially the Indian subcontinent, Asia, Africa, and Central and South America.

Recommendations: The risk of acquiring cholera is very low to travellers, thus cholera vaccination is not recommended.

The current injectable cholera vaccine gives only limited personal protection and does not prevent spread of the disease. The 1973 World Health Assembly stated that cholera vaccination should no longer be required of any traveller. In remote areas, border officials may occasionally ask to see certificates of people travelling from an infected area:such travellers are advised to carry a statement of the International Health Regulations on official notepaper, signed and stamped by a medical practitioner....."

Sorry the reference is a little dated. There was some talk of an oral vaccine but I've heard nothing yet.

You could perhaps have a word with the doc. at the local school of tropical medicine or contact someone who has been in a simillar situation.

(I give a lot of obscure travel immunisations-never given a cholera)

Good luck.

engineoff
26th Jun 2003, 01:42
F Charlie and G nut thanks for the advice... Managed to get a stamp in my vaccination book today as exempt the cholera vaccine! Whether that will wash I'm not sure but I think it's about all I can do. Am off to Angola on the West African coast and although the World Health Organisation has recommended it no longer being a requirement for entry to the country, my company has mentioned that airport officials aren't always wonderful with regulations and procedures, and therefore may prescribe an immediate injection. Nice!

gingernut
26th Jun 2003, 08:06
doesn't sound like there is much to worry about, the chances of you being injected sound quite slim, if it means a peaceful night, take your own needle + syringe, in the guise of a tropical first aid kit ... (from Boots the chemist)