PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia & expats

mrbrown
24th Jun 2003, 16:30
Have they or are they recruiting expats at Air Asia?

Chocks Away
24th Jun 2003, 22:46
Some people air just absolute:mad:

READ THE OTHER ASSOCIATED THREADS!!!! or shall we spoon feed you?:}

Where are your research and reading skills?

ManaAdaSystem
25th Jun 2003, 16:50
He asked about Air Asia, not air just.

mrbrown
25th Jun 2003, 18:53
Ah hah!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Chocks away

I'm so glad there are guys like you in this world that get upset so easliy. It makes my job of giving Jerry Springer specials like you high blood pressure.

All I want to know is have any expats been employed at Air Asia, for summery of other threads.

I know myself and people like QNH 1013, PILOST, Flyingchinaman, Kwaiyai, Rhumbline etc etc etc are all interested in the facts and doing what they can to get or have a rewarding career.

People like you chocks away are often the people that bring others down to make yourself look better, or better still hide behind a computer because you have nothing else gratifying in your life. So go ahead big boy, have your winge!

I'm interested to see what intellectual information you have to provide to the people who want to get some where.

I don't see you adding any beneficial information in past Air Asia threads.

:{

Goldwing2000
25th Jun 2003, 20:53
Well said mrbrown. chocks Away you should be ashamed of yourself. What bee has got under your bonnet? If one cannot ask for help on an aviation forum like this where aviators from all over the world partake then where the HELL can one go? You just seem hellbent not to help anyone.
FYI mrbrown, QNH1013 is working for Air Asia though I'm not quite sure about the others that you mention.
To your original question, Air Asia to the best of my belief has not employed any expats before as there was a steady stream of qualified Malaysian pilots to hand. Malaysian employment law states that locals have to be employed FIRST before any expats are brought in. AA are expanding very rapidly in the next 12 months with some 11 extra 737-300s coming so the opportunities for pilots are going to appear but as mentioned locals get first dig at the post.
Good luck in your endeavours.

Goldwing2000

mrbrown
26th Jun 2003, 11:42
Thanks Goldwing 2000,

I have confirmed all my details with the DCA for the conversion and kept in touch with AA. All I can do is cross the fingers and be patient.

Also good luck to all the others and if I hear any news I'll
be sure to let you guys know.

Mr brown:D

kwaiyai
26th Jun 2003, 12:02
Hi Mrbrown check your PM. Cheers.:confused:

mrbrown
26th Jun 2003, 16:49
Right back at ya!

QNH1013
1st Jul 2003, 18:29
Hello all. Well, a while ago management were just saying that priority at ther moment is to employ Malaysian citizens only and expats were not considered. However, as of just last week in a briefing by the DFO, Air Asia is now expecting that it will be looking to recruit Expats maybe in the next year, to cope with the expected expansion needs. If recruitment continues as expected then Air Asia will need lots of crews both Co-Pilots and Captains.

I can only report news as it changes and I've no further details of qualifications to be asked for and if it will be both Captains and F/O's to be recruited. I can say that if any, Captains will be in demand.

I'll post as things change. No harm sending in your CV's I guess.

All The Best.

PILOST
1st Jul 2003, 21:42
Just heard from a reliable source that Air Asia management are eyeing the SQ cadets who were given the red letter from SQ during their recent 'downsizing' exercise.

It's definitely a win win situation as most SQ's cadets are Malaysians & they are available immediately.I do agree with QNH1013 though that the Captain's post will be harder to fill as there is a shortage of experienced local pilots.This is where the expats will most likely be required, however as my earlier posting mentions, be very careful with the contractual terms.As it is Air Asia boast the lowest cost per seat mile compared to even Southwest, Ryanair, Easyjet, Virgin Blue etc. etc. I do imagine that Air Asia will like to maintain employees pay to the minimum to maintain their cost to an acceptable level.

Again it never hurts to send or even resend your CV's.The good times are rolling in the Malaysian aviation community.

Safe Flying all!

:cool:
PILOST

Chocks Away
1st Jul 2003, 22:02
Finally back home and able to respond to this:

Mr Brown...
You have the impudence to criticise me, while you ride the same donkey, as an alias!
or better still hide behind a computer
People in glass houses shouldn't through stones!

Having the guise of putting this thread in as a vehicle to wind people up, and then righteously claiming to be innocently seeking information only... trying to have your cake and eat it too it sounds like.

"...are all interested in the facts and doing what they can to get or have a rewarding career + I'm interested to see what intellectual information you have to provide to the people who want to get some where.

... the only difference between me and you is that I don't cut my throat by advertising to all and sundry, on this huge site, about it. You obviously are unaware of the magnitude of this website now, who and how many read it. It doesn't take many eyes here, for your CV to be at the bottom of 10 other fruit boxes of your so called "mates" CVs', from around the world, in this current climate. There are other vehicles less obvious, which don't drastically dilute your chances. Not very street smart possibly?:confused:

People like you chocks away are often the people that bring others down to make yourself look better
...this just shows how well you DON'T know me! Those that do, know I have helped numerous people in their aviation careers, with little in return. That is life and the wheel turns 'round.

:=

limtk55
1st Jul 2003, 22:35
It is so irritating having to read dumb posts with no intellectual stimulation....

Dumb as in posts that obviously are offensive in nature and begging for attention...and replies that serves to justify what was dumb in the first place.

I thought we're the better bunch....hmmm....

Goldwing2000
1st Jul 2003, 22:43
Pilost just a matter of interest? Didn't SQ give pink slips to mainly ancillary staff and not to pilots? Pilots and cabin crew have still to hear whether or not they're getting the chop.Even if these cadets have been axed surely they aren't qualified as SQ trains them from scratch and from the look of things SQ is slowly picking themselves off the ground.

Goldwing2000

mrbrown
2nd Jul 2003, 10:34
As others have posted, no one cares about posts, which contain material such as ours.

However to respond to your post (I'm sorry for the people that have to read this) which contains nothing except you having a whinge!

As you responded "read other posts." Have I mentioned things other than what has been discussed already in past threads?

I'm confirming information big boy.

Well shaggs, what intellectual information have you provided except letting me know your pi@#$d off.

Nothing, zero, naught.

If you think I'm hiding, send me your phone number.

Now if you don't mind, run along back to the playground.:{

I must admit though, I do find your posts amusing. Keep up the good work.:ok:

sq111
2nd Jul 2003, 12:08
Goldwing2000

During the height of the SARS crisis, SQ did release a number of cadets who are training in Jandakot. It wasn't reported in the papers as these people are in Perth, not Singapore. Funny thing is, after they release the cadets, they still take in another batch soon after.

For other cadets who are still around, they got to be on their toes cos they may be the ones to go if they screw up anything... SQ is more stringent given such times

Goldwing2000
2nd Jul 2003, 17:32
SQ111

So if the SQ cadets have not finish their training they won't be any use to Air Asia as they need ready trained pilots. I have heard that the MFA cadets will be flying with AA but there again it will be a while before they finish their course so it looks like AA will soon be desperate for co-pilots.
As to the Captain position heaven only knows where they're going to come from as I believe there's an agreement that AA cannot poach from MH. It will be mighty interesting to see if they don't end up getting one or many expat Captains. I know that Transmile have lost a few of their Captains to AA and I dare say a few more will leave so it looks like musical chairs for the Malaysian aviation fraternity.:ok:

Goldwing2000

I.B. Pilot
4th Jul 2003, 15:53
To Goldwing 2000:

Do you know what AA pays its captains and what the schedule / working conditions are like?

If you know any pilot at AA, could you please ask?

Thanks.

Cross Check
4th Jul 2003, 18:04
There was a few mentions of pays and conditions, etc in the previous two Air Asia threads - C's and F/O's.

Sick Squid
4th Jul 2003, 22:16
Gentlemen, bury your respective hatchets (NOT in each others heads) and no more of the personal insults please. If I see any more of them I'll just delete the entire post...

Move on. Round two.

Squid

cabiatir
4th Jul 2003, 23:21
...going back to AA ... Ive read on the company website that they currently fly 7 737-300, does anybody now if and when the fleet is going to be expanded? Are they going to stick with Boeing or maybe take some Airbus? What about long range? Are they thinking about it at all? Sorry if the post is a bit off subject but perhaps a lot of wannabe expats like me would like to know... Thank you....

Cross Check
5th Jul 2003, 10:17
AIR ASIA STAKE SOLD FOR USD 26 MILLION 4 April 2003 - Source: FT

Air Asia, Malaysia's budget airline, has sold a 26 per cent stake to three foreign investors for US$26m as it prepares to meet increased competition in south-east Asia.

Bahrain-based Islamic Development Bank will take a 10 per cent stake in Air Asia, Saudi Arabia's Crescent Venture Partners 9 per cent, and Frankfurt-based Deucalion Capital 7 per cent.

The new investment will help Air Asia to buy or lease another 11 Boeing 737s, increasing its fleet to 18 aircraft, as it prepares to fly to Thailand and Indonesia next year in its first foray outside its Malaysian home market.

Tony Fernandes, Air Asia founder and chief executive, said he was not worried about possible competition from SIA, which he said was likely to lose money on a budget airline. "Singapore Airlines is a premier brand. You do not get the Ritz-Carlton creating budget hotels. If you lose your focus, you are going to lose," he said.

Air Asia is hoping to draw customers from Singapore, the main regional air hub, by bussing passengers from the city-state to nearby Senai airport in southern Malaysia. In spite of stiff competition from Malaysian Airlines (MAS), two-year-old Air Asia reported a profit of M$11.8m (US$3.1m) for the second half of 2002. Air Asia last year flew 1.1m passengers, 10 per cent of the total Malaysian aviation market, by pricing flights at little more than bus fares.

Don't worry, I doubt they'll be buying A'bus anytime soon ...

mrbrown
5th Jul 2003, 10:56
A message awaits you in your PM.

Mr Brown.

QNH1013
5th Jul 2003, 12:30
The next confirmed step is a base at Johor. The company has waited to get esteblished before making this move as it intends to provide a solid service and network opportunity to the Malaysian's who are living in the south who want to travell domestically and also to Singaporeans. The company will have the whole logistics of transport from Johor Senai Apt to and from Singapore. Bringing the same concept down south, Air Asia gives a low cost choice and alternative to Malaysians and Singaporeans. After all they can still fly MAS/SIA/Silkair.

As for the Expats issue. What else I forgot to mention was that Expats would be employed on LOCAL terms. Just like everyone else here. A bit tough some may say but it's really take it or leave it. And there will be takers. Unfortunatelly it's an employers marketr in Aviation these days. The only addition I heard mentioned was a housing allowance provided.

Aircraft are supposed to arrive on average one a month and No, there are no plans for Airbus at all yet. Maybe 737 NG's in a few years time.

Goldwing2000
5th Jul 2003, 21:11
Cabiatir, what hasn't been mentioned is that the deal for the 11 737-300 has been signed, sealed and will be delivered from sometime before October till June 2004. All the aircrafts will come from Gecas with four being bought outright and the remaining seven being leased. With the demise of Sars in the region it's looking more and more rosy.(I hope,two fingers crossed!):p
As for flying long range, I believe the company is taking one step at a time though they have permission to fly to the neighbouring countries and sooner or later they will eventually expand overseas.

Goldwing2000

cabiatir
7th Jul 2003, 21:27
...well thanks guys for your prompt answers ...even if as a pilot I shouldn't say that I think Low cost operations are really bringing air travel closer to the people..it's surely true in Europe and in looking forward to see how AA will do in the far east!!
One last question...does anybody know on what basis is a local term contract at AA, both for CPT and FOs ? i couldn't find any related post..:ok: