View Full Version : Av. industry in Oz

208inICE
24th Jun 2003, 12:47
hey everyone,

i am looking on info about state of industry in Australia and preferably WA. Can anyone give me pointers for websites to browse etc.? also what would typical operator requirements be to fly as PIC on single/twin turboprop, or twin piston?
i am just trying to figure out if there's a chance staying in aviation downunder whilst persuing other more important interests (i.e. having a life).
what can someone get with ATPL (not Oz endorsed yet) and PIC on PA34/31-310-350, C208B, Beech A100?

someone please take a couple of minutes to give me another answer than: it sucks here or keep your job. it might all be valid, however i came to the conclusion that while flying is great i am not married to it. if there's no way around it i'll do something else...
Thanks for your help.

208inICE:ok:

Torres
24th Jun 2003, 14:35
1. Flying job prospects are no better here than anywhere else on the Planet. Maybe worse. That's nicer way of saying "it sucks here or keep your job".

2. You did not mention your experience - hours, ratings etc. ATPL not required for the aircraft you list. Obviously higher hours, experience etc = better chances of a job.

3. Subject to obtaining your Australian CPL/ATPL your chances of getting a flying job are about the same as anyone else's of similar experience.

4. It would be impossible to obtain a flying job in advance of your arrival in Australia. If you wish to try, re read point 1. above.

5. Chances are you won't get a flying job at whatever specific town or city you would like to gain employment.

6. Plenty of Navajos and Chieftans in Australia. Caravan jobs are sought after and not easy to find. No Beech 100's in Australia.

Dude, no one can tell you with anything short of crystal ball gazing, what your real chances are of a flying job in Australia, assuming you obtain a Visa and license conversion.

208inICE
24th Jun 2003, 22:40
hey torres,

thanks for your reply. you put it in certain terms that it's not to good in oz. however, that should never stop someone from trying, and as i said there's other things to do than just fly.
also, getting a license from a different authority is not a problem, depending how bad you want it (and money (which is not abundant, i might add)).

so all in all there's several (or at least two) ways of looking at things:
1/ you do whatever possible to get a job that pays your bills and a little extra and you're happy to have a job and be positive
or
2/ you're always negative and complain. that just drags you down and there's not much quality of life left at that point.

i am still looking for websites or pointers etc. for a possible start in the oz aviation.

cheers,

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
25th Jun 2003, 09:24
208 Ice man - seriously, what's wrong with the job situation in Canada at your level and above?

RYAN TCAD
25th Jun 2003, 13:47
more to the point, .... again, what hours do you have on types etc?

208inICE
25th Jun 2003, 21:01
Hey guys,

1/ experience: ATPL, 2700 total time, 1700 multi piston and turboprop, 1900 PIC, 750 turboprop, all time on PA 31-310/350, Beech King Air A100, C208B and some other small stuff.

2/ the industry in canada is probably just as bad as in oz. air canada 9the national carrier) is laying off 350 pilots after just avoiding bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago. there's other smaller airlines around, but like anywhere there's too many pilots.

3/ and as said before if i can keep flying without whoring myself out then i will. however, the reason to even think about this whole move is not because i think there's better conditions in oz.

so, any tips?

cheers,

208inICE

:ok: :ok:

Torres
25th Jun 2003, 22:19
"....however, that should never stop someone from trying,...."

Exactly. I did not say don't try. What I said was flying jobs are just as hard to find here as anywhere else on the planet, maybe worse since the Ansett collapse. Simple fact.

Your hours are good if you are happy to fly light twins (PA31) and possibly single and light twin turbines. You may have to move around (probably northern Oz) at first to "get a start" but your hours will definately help. If you gain an Ozzie ATPL, your hours would also look good on an application to the regional airlines, mostly DHC-8.

No one web site mate. Keep an eye on the Ozjobs posted in PPRuNe every Friday by Windshear.

PM me if you need some suggestions. I can probably give you a list of operators to approach. You could also go to the Yellow Pages on line www.yellowpages.com.au or the White Pages at www.whitepages.com.au

208inICE
26th Jun 2003, 07:04
Torres,

thanks for your help. I will take you up on the PM.
talk to you soon,