PDA

View Full Version : DUN not working.

InFinRetirement
24th Jun 2003, 00:33
DUN was working fine on a friend's puter via the onboard modem. Upgraded to XP Pro and it would not work. The wizard would take me as far as "Connect to internet manually" then when I click next all it shows is the route to broadband only. The other two options are blanked!

I have now disabled the onboard modem and installed a PCI version modem - still exactly the same. Can't be a hardware problem, the device manager and "query modem" show it is installed and "working correctly."

So....I have to assume it is a software problem - which part of it is it then? Any ideas please.

fobotcso
24th Jun 2003, 18:07
I've consulted my XP Pro machine and of the three possibilities offered you, two are for Broadband. One of these is for an "always on" connection and the other is for a "sign-in" connection. The machine may think it is on an always on connection.

In Control Panel, double click Network Connections and see if there is anything called a Bridge. If there is, it can be safely deleted.

If there are any Network Connections, a single Right Click and a single left click on "Repair" should sort them.

This may not work but we have to start somewhere. :)

InFinRetirement
25th Jun 2003, 02:53
Fob's, thanks but I couldn't find the 'bridge' you referred to. But I still cannot get it to work. Real pain this.

Any other ideas?

fobotcso
25th Jun 2003, 03:47
B*gger:\

It was a long shot. In general, I favour trying to restore a machine using detailed techniques. That way I feel I know what is going on and have some degree of control.

Having said that, this last week-end I had to repair a Win 2000 machine using the install disk - asking for a "repair" installation. The problem was something similar. It was long winded but it worked so no data or Programs were lost. Actually Sonic Stage had to be unistalled and reinstalled. Maybe that was the problem all along.

This may be an option for your friend. Although you've just installed Win XP, why not start again with the install disk and ask for a repair installation? You wouldn't go for a reformat option, I know, as that would destroy data.

Meanwhile I'll continue head scratching and researching the MS Knowledge Base. Sorry my bright idea didn't work.

fobotcso
25th Jun 2003, 17:19
IFR, two thoughts if you're still having difficulties and have not yet taken an axe to the beast.

1. Try using Hyperterminal to dial an ordinary 'phone number. (Programs>Accessories>Communications).

If you can dial out that way it would indicate that the modem is not the problem.

2. Go back to Device Manager and confirm which Port the modem is configured to use and then look at that Port and confirm that is is enabled.

Still thinking and reading...

The Trouble Shooter in XP is excellent and if you run it on the machine in question it will check various things for you such as resource conflicts. (Start>Help and support>Index>Dial-up networking>troubleshooter).

InFinRetirement
26th Jun 2003, 13:24
Guys, none of the above worked.......although the h/terminal connection did work. So the modem was OK as the 'query modem' proved also.

Heading fast towards a format and clean install. I just cannot see the problem, except maybe XP Home didn't like Pro sitting on it.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated - before I start over. :mad:

fobotcso
26th Jun 2003, 17:24
This must be a problem with the modem not finding the port to which it is assigned. And, from what you say, that port is there and serviceable as far as Device Manager is concerned. I assume there are no "Devices" in Device Manager with yellow exclamation marks.

XP doesn't deal in "real" ports only virtual ports. These can then be assigned to actual hardware such as a serial port, USB, PCI etc.

What's in the BIOS regarding ports?

Oh, and I'd still try the "repair" option if offered. I've never done a WinXP over WinXP but in Win2K it does keep all your data and settings that you'd lose by formatting.

InFinRetirement
27th Jun 2003, 14:58
Did the repair idea Fobs, and it didn't help. Tried different ports that didn't help. There must be a fault in the software somewhere but as XP Home worked I am going to re-install that from a clean install. Formatting the drive to-day.

Your help has been very encouraging and I thank you guys, very much. ;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Jun 2003, 22:58
InFinRetirement,

You can do a clean install on WinXP without having to blow out your partition or format the drive. It saves you from having to backup all your data since you will only lose the data in the Windows Directory.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

fobotcso
27th Jun 2003, 23:35
IFR, fingers crossed!:D