PDA

View Full Version : baby move Cardiff Gla svc to PIK

Findo
23rd Jun 2003, 17:36
BMI baby have announced that they are moving the Cardiff Glasgow services from Abbotsinch to PIK. They say GLA is too expensive to operate from and PIK came in with a better offer.

The East Midlands service will not move.

Further details today at a PIK press conference.

nef
23rd Jun 2003, 18:00
It's a bit funny they'd move one but not the other is it not?

That's a total pain the ar*e as far as I'm concerned - I'm booked on that flight to go to Cardiff for Scotland v. Wales at rugby in August. I booked the GLA flight cause it was much cheaper than the EDI one and the difference in journey times to these airports for me is not that much. Now instead of having to get to GLA for an 8:50 am flight I'll have to get to PIK, which compartively speaking is a nightmare!!!:rolleyes: Actually, I hope the flight is at the same time otherwise I'll miss the match!:mad:

MerchantVenturer
23rd Jun 2003, 19:13
Does this mean that the Cardiff-Glasgow service is doing so well that it won't matter if it is moved to the less convenient (it would seem) Prestwick, or is it not doing so well and the Baby management feels the need to try to cut costs, or is there some other reason?

Whatever the reason I am sure a positive spin will be put upon the announcement.

Joe Curry
23rd Jun 2003, 21:36
>>I booked the GLA flight cause it was much cheaper than the EDI one<<

One wonders, why?:confused:

sparkymarky
23rd Jun 2003, 21:55
It's called 'yield management' Joe. There are more rugger types on the East coast, hence the flight to Cardiff for the rugby fills up quicker.

I'd have thought you'd have seen this as a positive thing - EDI flight fills quicker than GLA one - rather than let your paranoia get the better of you.

Findo
23rd Jun 2003, 22:18
Never mind nef the flights is still at 0850. As you booked to save money you will probably want to take advantage of the free rail travel associated with the Prestwick departure.

Flights start 28th July. 2 daily and one on Sat / Sun

Joe Curry
23rd Jun 2003, 23:17
>>I'd have thought you'd have seen this as a positive thing - EDI flight fills quicker than GLA one - rather than let your paranoia get the better of you.<<

I'm biased SparkyMarky..I leave the paranoia to others....

Biased enough to say that ALL competing central belt flights fill
quicker at EDI.

Airtours started a long-haul flight to Cuba from GLA today,
I wonder how many pax will demand that the Captain take them to EDI on the return? :E :E

Going back to bmibaby and PIK...BAA have only themselves to
blame...they have created a ticking timebomb of their own making.

The biggest surprise is that the BAA Scottish executives responsible - those not retired - are still in office!:ugh:

nef
24th Jun 2003, 00:50
Findo,

Unfortunately there is no way I could get to PIK in time by train, free or not, so I shall have to get up very early and drive - and I can tell you now I don't like getting up early!!!:p :zzz:

I'm a bit p*ssed off about this TBH, but anything I do instead will cost a lot more money, so I'll just have to live with it.

Only yesterday in The Scotland on Sunday there was an interview with Donald Dowds where he "rejects claims that high landing charges force airlines to stay away from Scotland"

http://www.scotlandonsunday.co.uk/business.cfm?id=683342003

Then the next day Tony Davis says "The higher costs at Glasgow international have restricted our ability to offer a wide range of attractive fares and continue to restrict new route development in Scotland."

http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en-gb/sectiondetails.aspx?p=4&Rid=180

Kinda makes Mr Dowds look a bit foolish!:rolleyes:

Joe Curry
24th Jun 2003, 01:37
>>Only yesterday in The Scotland on Sunday there was an interview with Donald Dowds where he "rejects claims that high landing charges force airlines to stay away from Scotland"<<

Meaning BAA's GLA...EDI seems to be holding its own..

Just heard on a TV news programme that BAA Glasgow have an
important announcement to make later this week...

Emirates from GLA perhaps? Crazy..everyone knows the traffic mix that suits Emirates is at EDI...:*

ecj
24th Jun 2003, 01:50
Is it better to get some income with lower prices or no income with a higher price. Maximise income is the answer ?

Caledonian
24th Jun 2003, 02:22
l suspect this is part of a longer term strategy by baby to make there next crib at PIK

Golf Charlie Charlie
24th Jun 2003, 03:21
Is Prestwick THAT inconvenient ? I recall literally a hundred yards from arrivals to platform and 30/40 minute train service for 5 quid to Glasgow Central, running about every half hour.

steve_mcginley
24th Jun 2003, 04:00
Only takes a minute or so to walk from the rail platform to the checkin area - and the airport isn't difficult to get around.:}

MerchantVenturer
24th Jun 2003, 04:13
I think the link with Scotrail is an interesting one. It would be instructive to be told in due course what the take up is, although I doubt that we shall be.

Nevertheless, on the face of things a free trip from PIK to anywhere in Scotland served by Scotrail seems inviting.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the half fare on Scotrail after the free 6-month period. Fifty per cent of what? Fifty per cent of full fares can often be more than the many 'offer' fares that all the railway companies come up with.

Nevertheless, I still think it a worthwhile innovation. Who knows, if it catches on other lo cos might switch to PIK and link into the pan Scotland rail system.

Findo
24th Jun 2003, 04:29
Merchant

PIK often quote that at least 30% of all their passengers come via rail. As the free rail connection is usually for 6 months then there must be a continuing healthy rail use.

Scottish Flyer
24th Jun 2003, 05:01
Having used the 50% reduction recently after flying Stansted-Prestwick on Ryanair, it does appear to apply to all promotional fares on Scotrail - so it is a good deal.

Arran's view
24th Jun 2003, 05:04
Tony Davis, managing director of bmibaby, said:

"Our decision to operate our Cardiff service to an alternative airport in Glasgow is due in part to the wide difference in charging policies adopted by the two different airport owners. In order to be able to offer such fantastic low fares we have to ensure that the airports we use are competitively priced. The higher costs at Glasgow international have restricted our ability to offer a wide range of attractive fares and continue to restrict new route development in Scotland.

Glasgow Prestwick, managing director, Tom Wilson said:

“We’re confident bmibaby will bring a range of new routes and more low fares to Prestwick, which is great news for our passengers who will exceed two million by the end of this year.”

By the look of the quotes this is a toe in the water exercise. If successful then baby will introduce more services. :D :D

Callum Johnstone
24th Jun 2003, 06:10
Well, Arran, if launching from PIK is the means by which bmibaby deliver their first international routes from Scotland, so be it.

Personally, I'd prefer them to be operating out of EDI to their various European destinations, but at BAA's current rates, that seems unlikely for a while!

Good luck to bmibaby.

Findo
24th Jun 2003, 22:22
Looks as if some more routes may be in the pipeline :O

baby routes (http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/business.cfm?id=689542003)

billyg
25th Jun 2003, 03:07
I assume that Mr O'Leary is already planning to spank the Babies, either back to Glasgow, or out of Scotland all together!

MerchantVenturer
25th Jun 2003, 05:38
Or perhaps he will adopt them.;)

Joe Curry
25th Jun 2003, 23:49
>>I assume that Mr O'Leary is already planning to spank the Babies, either back to Glasgow, or out of Scotland all together<<

What's this? bmibaby are not flying from Abbotsinch and you want
them 'spanked'?

Tiny are quite happy flying under BAA's terms at EDI and are getting decent loads. MOL is doing likewise...

Perhaps Abbotsinch isn't the 'bee's knees' destination folk are
being led to believe.?:E :E

Caledonian
26th Jun 2003, 01:19
Joe.................Shut-it

yer daein ma nut in