PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the War - TV Coverage

Mr C Hinecap
23rd Jun 2003, 15:56
I'm sure a few of you watched BBC2 on Sunday night, 9 til 10.

The coverage of the loss of a Tornado was (IMHO) superbly put together and demonstrated the due level of respect deserved by all.

However, as for the rest of the footage & commentary....

Was it just me, or did 9 Sqn do it all themselves? I seem to remember a few more ac at AAS than just THEM!

Even though I am on the ground, that show really really p:mad: :mad: :mad: ed me off! The Combat Air Wing deserves far more than THAT as the public perception of what it did. I bloody hope it is covered in the next show. AAAARRGHHH!

respect to ALL the guys who flew on the CAW.

From a sarcastic but fair blunty.

:rolleyes:

newswatcher
23rd Jun 2003, 16:48
Hi Mr H.

I was going to post about how much I was enjoying the program, if "enjoy" is the right word to use. As a MOTP, I have been enthralled by both episodes so far. There are 5 more to go.

31 journalists and camera operators were used. I doubt they were able to have access to every operational squadron, and just happened to be with 9 squadron at the time of this incident.

Series is modelled on "Defence of the Realm", previously shown on the '90s. Series planning started by executive producer Neil Grant in 2000, so not originally aimed at Gulf War II.

Hertzsprung Russell
23rd Jun 2003, 23:53
Surprised that some items were not edited out, such as;

1. Ageing aircraft going u/s and unable to fulfill the mission

2. Crap kit (boots, desert DPM & desert flying suits)

3. Aussies getting tax breaks and extra 'danger money'

One can only assume that these issues will be resolved in short order !

:ooh:

L J R
24th Jun 2003, 02:53
Hertz Russel - When you are Chief will you please fix it.

c'mmon mate - do you think anything will change.

How many more forums, TV shows etc will it take to change things. Far too many I submit.

Unfortunately, we have done too well without.

Fox-1
24th Jun 2003, 04:57
Honestly though, how well have we done and how well do we actually do? MOD tells everyvody we do well because it's in their interests to. They'd hardly say we're under-funded, over-worked and not very effective. The question should be how well should we do, not how well did we do.